Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Catahoula Leapard Dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Mrs.10GAGENUT, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Anybody have any experience with these dogs, actually any help would be appreciated.
    The wife brought a puppy home from a rescue shelter yesterday and it's supposed to be full blooded Catahoula.
    Nice dog and seems to be very smart, eats like Jethro Bodine.
    Thanks for any help

2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Cousin had one. Dog never learned much. But I don't think she has much capacity to train a dog. Probably wasn't fault of the dog.

3. dukejb

dukejb Refuge Member

A friend of my parents growing up bred them. He primarily used them as cattle dogs, but he also had a client that bought a bunch of them to use hunting bears. My brother had a catahoula Aussie Shepherd mix that was a great dog and much smarter than my brother.

4. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks, come the Spring I'm gonna work with him a bit and see what he can do, don't think I have a duck dog here but he seems to smart to let go to waist.

5. Natedog57

Natedog57 New Member

Very cool dogs/breed IMO, I've had a couple and very much enjoyed them. They are kind of a cross between a herding type and hound, seem to be used either way. Never saw one that enjoyed retrieving... but who knows.

Around here (FL) it is common for them to be cross bred with pits for hog/bear hunting... can be very gritty dogs. Mine were 3/4 Catahoula and 1/4 pit. Very loyal, smart dogs, great companions, I hope to have another sometime again.