Cattail Planting

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by owendog, Nov 28, 2012.

1. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

Anyone ever try it from the seed heads. Due ton the flood of 08, the property I hunt loss a tremendous amount of cover. Looking to replace it. Had good luck transplanting this past summer, just looking for an easier method. I read on another site guys have had lick. just wondering if anyone has any pointers/ideas.

2. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Considering that cattails are not native and provide no food source for waterfowl, I would plant something that is either native or is an annually planted food source. There are lots of native grasses that can be planted. You could also gamble on having water next year at some point and plant barley and hope it floods.

3. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

Unless its private, im fairlly certain its illegal

4. coyote hounder

coyote hounder Senior Refuge Member

The place where owendog hunts is private.

5. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

I still think you have to check when planting certain items, to get cleared with the dnr, i could be wrong

6. MstormChuck

MstormChuck Elite Refuge Member

any chance with the draw down this fall you can create a high spot? Rock/silt/etc and then plant some grass on the high spot next spring?

7. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I've spent so many hours getting rid of cattails I sure would never want to encourage them to grow.:rolleyes:

8. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

yes it is a private marsh. The cattails are primarily for concealment. We have planted duck potatoe, which did well, and wild rice, which didnt do well for food. The cattails were very thick years ago, just trying to establish some concealment, and soildarity to hold soil. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Its standing, stangnet water all year, and very turned up during the spring due to carp. Clear the rest of the year.

And Jack, if it is illegal, maybe you could point me in the direction where I could read that. I made a serious attempt to find where it is listed as not ok to plant, couldnt find anything.

9. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

I'd love to Chuck, but the permitting is overwhelming for a project like that. They did a rip rap project 12 years ago, easier to due back then, and if they wouldnt have done it, we would of lost a tremendous amount of our property.

10. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

Not really wanting to agree with gab jack, and it pains me to say it, but he might be right...

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/invasivetutorial/cattail.htm