Cayuga lake

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by darkvibe, Aug 11, 2019.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Anyone hunt the north end of Cayuga? Been working down that way and see the area north of the railroad bridge when I drive past. Looks like it could be great hunting. Is it really crowded? Where is a good launch? Is an 1860 mod-v Jon adequate to have on that lake assuming it's not a wind storm?

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    My friend, I would give it a wide birth. I live 20min away and don't hunt it. That is where the locals have all their floating blinds in the fall and spots have been handed down for generations. Each year at least one or two say"well it's public, I have just as much right to hunt there" and build a blind, only to come back to it burnt to the ground or water level. They are not nice people. Not worth the frustration to hunt there. There are people that have bought houses on the upper end who are not allowed to hunt there, till they can somehow come by a established spot. Kinda sad.

3. darkvibe

Not the kind of place I want to hunt. Thanks for the info, I'll avoid it. Plenty of other places to hunt.

4. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

On high pressure days stay clear.

That being said if you have a floater rig pick your days and hunt it. I've gone in there and had great shoots.

Don't let a few self proclaimed badazz's steer you away.

5. darkvibe

I do. Boat with a blind on it. I still don't feel like dealing with jackasses.

BAYDOG likes this.
  6. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

def. some jackasses, get there early and stand your ground, remember you have as much right to be there as they do.