Centennial Valley SWA

#1Gunner

Reaction score
This is my first season waterfowl hunting so I'm hoping someone with experience is kind enough to tell me if I'm wasting my time or not. I have a reservation at Centennial Valley SWA for Thanksgiving morning. Looks like flows are just under 700cfs. Do I stand a chance at finding some ducks on the river right now? I hunted at Jean K Tool a few weeks ago and saw nothing but geese flying overhead. Turns out the canal would have been a better bet, but not by much.

DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So did it work out to be a good choice ?

spaightlabs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't see this til you already hunted or cancelled.

Standard answer; it's always worth it to get out on the river and watch the sunrise and ya don'tknow if ya don't go.

A little weather would have no doubt helped. There's enough high dollar property out by centennial that always holds ducks that there should have been some birds kicking around when th sports got out there and started banging.

Look a bit further out for weather days - no rez required.

#1Gunner

Reaction score
Sorry - didn't see this til you already hunted or cancelled.

Standard answer; it's always worth it to get out on the river and watch the sunrise and ya don'tknow if ya don't go.

A little weather would have no doubt helped. There's enough high dollar property out by centennial that always holds ducks that there should have been some birds kicking around when th sports got out there and started banging.

Look a bit further out for weather days - no rez required.
Thanks for the reply. Funny/ not so funny story... I was all packed and ready to go because I arrived at the same conclusion "you don't know if you don't go". Went to load up the truck in the morning and slipped on some ice in my driveway. Ended up re-spraining my ankle pretty bad. Since the spot I reserved was a mile to hike in I decided it was a no go. Now I probably have my reservation rights revoked since I didn't show :(. Never thought I'd say this, but my first injury to my ankle came from a duck hunting trip a couple weeks prior. I'm a fly fisherman so I've been using my fishing waders and boots to get by this season. Never considered that felt bottom boots turn into ice sheets after getting wet. Lesson learned the hard way...

k22hornet

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
"Never considered that felt bottom boots turn into ice sheets after getting wet".

Neither did I. They turn into ice balls, getting bigger with each step, lol. I was too cheap to replace the felt bottom boots, so walked on those for years, basically until my waders died.

Fritz

Reaction score
Gunner don’t worry you’re good. They will send you a nasty letter in the mail telling you how bad a human you are! I think you get one warning a year for a no show. Got one a few years back for not going to Centennial in a blizzard.

spaightlabs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Gunner don’t worry you’re good. They will send you a nasty letter in the mail telling you how bad a human you are! I think you get one warning a year for a no show. Got one a few years back for not going to Centennial in a blizzard.
Sure, you're still alive, but you probably missed a helluva mallard shoot. :no