Central Kansas optimism for 2020 season

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, May 15, 2020.

1. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

2 primitive pools this fall!

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

We just need to talk every farmer in Barton county to volunteer their time and equipment to get into the pools after it’s been dry for 4 weeks and disc those SOBs into oblivion for a couple days straight so that the manager can have a fresh start. Easy peasy

I’m just armchair QBing here but it’s not like KDWPT is rolling in the dough, guessing the limitation is money. Anything is possible with enough $.

After hunting there last year and seeing 3A as nothing but bare dirt being worked after being a sea of cattails I am 100% supportive of the work being done there. It looks like they as doing as much as possible within the constraints they have.

CJT and Tuleman like this.
  3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

How did the waterfowl respond to 3A? I scout the bottoms a lot and I know what I saw there. But waterfowl can change daily so curious what others saw as well.

4. nick b

It was being actively worked by staff on tractors and was dry when I was there in October last year, but should be much better this year. I am not local though so I only see what I see when I come out to hunt, but that pool certainly seems like evidence that Jason is working hard to reverse years of neglect.

3A-all blind islands repaired, cattail control complete, 67 acres milo, 70 acres wheat, 534 acres millet.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Present (and past) CB management is more than willing to share information with the public if the public would just ask. Not only does management participate in a local radio program where call-in questions are answered, anyone can call the Bottoms and have a one-on-one with the manager (if more detail is desired). We can also call the Migratory Game Bird Program Manager who is located at the Wetlands Education Center which is located at the east side of the Bottoms. Part of his job is answering questions about seasons and limits.
    We, the hunting public, find it easiest to just operate in a bubble, putting forth our opinions without going to the trouble to find out if those opinions are aligned with reality. A certain amount of effort is required if we want to see how valid those opinions are. Drive out to the Bottoms, look around.... or call.... talk to the staff, learn the past history and the future plans. You will probably find it VERY interesting, and you could learn more than you thought you might.

Neck Collar, CJT, redjones and 4 others like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You had two primitive pools LAST fall! :l
    (if you count 4A as 90% accessible only by walk-in hunters....)

7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

LOL. Now I just hope to see official motor restrictions placed on 2 pools this fall! 3A and 4A is what I'm dreaming of.

8. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Promote my 6” rule and you’ll have 4 pools!!!

9. nick b

Honest question, what else is there besides spray/disc/burn and effective water control? Cattails are incredibly difficult to manage plants, what new technologies besides better equipment could they use? I’m not in agriculture or wetland management so I don’t know.

10. CJT

CJT New Member

The primary cause of the increase in cattail coverage at CB in recent years is excessive siltation and the lack of addressing that issue in a timely manner before it got way out of control, which is why Jason and staff are actively removing silt, thereby enabling better water control and helping remove the seed bed/rhizomes. If you ask me, based on the most recent waterfowl report, they are kicking butt out there this year, and you all better get ready to shoot something besides said “bootlips”

Neck Collar likes this.