Century Link

Disgruntled

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am moving to star link it’s super fast and seems pretty reliable.
Reliable ish. Or thats how ours is, but its far better than the nothing we had previously. Ive got a wide open view of the sky with the Dish and atill loose connection multiple times per day. I havent dropped Directv cause I am not quite sold on it for streaming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124-202819_Starlink.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124-202819_Starlink.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 11

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Update:
I received an e mail that they are canceling service tomorrow.

I DID NOT receive an e mail stating they were crediting my account for my latest bill (I called and cancelled 3+ weeks ago) so we will see where that ends up.
Verbally, over the phone I was assured I don't owe anything more.

Timber Hole

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have CenturyLink at my lake place. I have kept it primarily so we could make a call in an emergency. Verizon recently put up a new tower so we have excellent cell service. I just got a Verizon internet box here at home. They say it won’t work in rural areas but I’m going to take it down there and see if it works. If it does I’m going to tell CenturyLink to pound sand!

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
Reliable ish.
We have the exact opposite experience. 99% reliable. Yes, I have experienced some slow-downs. They last about 10 seconds. Maybe 30. If you read up on it, they are to be expected. After all, we are dealing with a signal from space. That said, they are very, VERY rare. Once or twice a month. You hit your 'send' button, and see it working, but not loading. Hit it again, and it will load right away. Meanwhile, basically unlimited download allowance (they did just change the policy on that, but 'normal' people won't deal with it) We have had it for a couple of years now. No 'long term' outages, no equipment failures. Very cool feature that the dish self aligns, and is heated, so having a foot of snow in an hour isn't an issue. No more going out in a snowstorm, climbing a ladder in my jammies, and sweeping the Hughes dish off with a broom.

Not sure your location, but they are launching Sats from the North latitudes, working Southward. The further South you are, the less Sats you have over you. You can see how many Sats are above you using the App on your phone. I don't remember how many are above me, but it was a LOT. (30?)

My buddy in Vegas has pretty good cable. Cox, I think. He thought it was fast. He knows about that kinda stuff. When he visits here and uses our WiFi, he is amazed at how much faster our service is.

I'm sorry your experience isn't as good. Not sure why, unless, like I said, you are further South. I can say I recommend it to everyone around here (we are rural, no Cable available, so it is either Hughes, or nothing, till this) Everyone who has followed our advice loves it.

sdkidaho

Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming
Reaction score
Wow... those are some horrible speeds. 5mb and less? That's like almost 20 years ago speeds for my area and our largest town nearby is like 50,000 people, so we aren't some major metropolitan area.

Century Link and pretty much everyone else, sells "up to" speeds. That means they sell you 5mb, but anything "up to" that speed is acceptable to them. It's a marketing scam - guaranteed speeds are rare. We ran the 3rd largest wireless internet provider in the nation before we sold it back in 2013, so I understand this fairly well. We were successful by going into areas where places like Century Link had a monopoly and offering those people a choice - they would leave the local Telco's in droves (those places hated our guts).

Towers on mountain tops, dotting the valleys below, anywhere we could get a signal to provide service to a community that was under-served with internet access. It was a lot of work - I don't miss it at all.

It was really hard to actually "pay" for internet at home for the first time. We had always just provided it ourselves. We sold in 2013 - I made it until last year before paying someone else to provide it to my home. It's been good though - 300mb down, 20mb up - $80/month.