Change in Fed. Waterfowl law?

Pot Hole

Elite Refuge Member
Sponsor
Reaction score
Current law, as explained by a federal warden, does not permit any transport of waterfowl without attached wing or head.
I have also been told that if you took your waterfowl (duck or goose) to a licensed game processor (or any business for that matter who processes meat) and then have them process the birds into sausage AND put their label on it that it was legal to transport. Anyone have any issues doing this?

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Current law, as explained by a federal warden, does not permit any transport of waterfowl without attached wing or head.

The absolute application of that rule results in prohibiting hunters from processing snow geese breasts into ground meat, or being made into sausage, jerky or other edible forms.

If it is to the benefit of habitat and environment to reduce the population of Snows, then perhaps some revision of "transport" regulations is warranted for spring season.

Thoughts?

20.43 Species identification requirement.

No person shall transport within the United States any migratory game birds, except doves and band-tailed pigeons (Columba fasciata), unless the head or one fully feathered wing remains attached to each such bird at all times while being transported from the place where taken until they have arrived at the personal abode of the possessor or a migratory bird preservation facility.

[41 FR 31537, July 19, 1976]

Seems pretty clear that once at your personal abode, species identification no longer applies and you can turn the meat into whatever form you want
I hunt with a group of 8 that travels to the Texas Panhandle to hunt geese & cranes each year. The outfitter we use is licensed as a 'migratory bird preservation facility' and breast out the birds each day, vacuum seals the meat, marks the packages as to contents, and quick freezes it. We can then load up our coolers and head home and are 100% legal in the eyes of the law. The answer for you is simple; find a licensed processor in the vicinity of your hunting area and have them process the birds for you if leaving a head or wing attached for transportation is an issue. You may not be able to fulfill all the requirements for using a licensed processor (paperwork, time, added expense, etc.), but it is possible to bring home processed meat legally.

This doesn't work for 'importing game' into the USA from some other country as this is governed by a different Federal agency with their own set of regulations. Just like there are 2 different sets of firearms rules for 1) transporting firearms from state to state, and 2) transporting firearms out of and back into the United States.

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have also been told that if you took your waterfowl (duck or goose) to a licensed game processor (or any business for that matter who processes meat) and then have them process the birds into sausage AND put their label on it that it was legal to transport. Anyone have any issues doing this?
Our outfitter in Texas is a licensed processor and we do this every year. No issues at all.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I use a licensed processor (I think).
My gw pal (Carter) alerted me to the lady that picks ducks for him. Seems legit but...
Oh Lord.
A duck is a duck to her and she won't identify them or package them separately.
No heads or wings she processes them perfectly but...labels and tags?
That lady is going to get me arrested which is why I have video of me dropping off ducks and what I picked up.

jzee

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Processed and Prepped for table fair ? Are we agreeing that cooked Sausage or Jerky is no longer counted towards possession and is legal to transport ? irregardless of who processed it in the Regular season or Conservation season.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Processed and Prepped for table fair ? Are we agreeing that cooked Sausage or Jerky is no longer counted towards possession and is legal to transport ? irregardless of who processed it in the Regular season or Conservation season.
These guys are all attorneys in their minds.
I'm the criminally insane one.
;)

Ed Harsson

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The absolute application of that rule results in prohibiting hunters from processing snow geese breasts into ground meat, or being made into sausage, jerky or other edible forms.

If it is to the benefit of habitat and environment to reduce the population of Snows, then perhaps some revision of "transport" regulations is warranted for spring season.

Thoughts?
That law applies to the transport of the migratory birds that are reduced to your possession from the field to your home or cartilage.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That law applies to the transport of the migratory birds that are reduced to your possession from the field to your home or cartilage.
"The field" is everywhere but your personal residence. Walmart parking lot is "in the field".

Ed Harsson

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The field" is everywhere but your personal residence. Walmart parking lot is "in the field".
From the outdoors from which you reduced the migrant bird to your possession Aunt Betty. These are words and terms used in federal and state courts. Just sayin’. He asked. We can “what if it till the cows come in” as a federal magistrate had told me.

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
No Sir, I am not agreeing to that. It absolutely matters who processed it. If you process it yourself without the license authorization to do so, then you would be in violation of the law. Which season matters not. But it MUST be processed by a facility licensed to do so to be legal.