Change in Fed. Waterfowl law?

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The issue with these laws they were written long ago during market hunting days. Market hunting for waterfowl is long gone. Go try to feed wild duck or goose to people who weren't raised eating it, they'll most likely turn up their nose. I believe it's time to revisit some of these laws on wing and head attached.
Actually, these regulations get reviewed occasionally. The last major review was in 1973 and then some minor reviews have occurred since then. Opening the sub-parts of Title 50 CFR will show you if/when they were last modified. You can see the major changes from 1973 here: https://archives.federalregister.gov/issue_slice/1973/8/15/22002-22024.pdf#page=20

Peakebrook

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think you may have that backwards.
I don't have anything backwards. My reasoning not to be considered a migratory bird processing facility is that I choose not to be open to federal scrutiny when ever they want. Same reason I do not take federal or state monies for my farm.

Regarding business, the feds do not stipulate that it has to be a registered business. Unless money or services are being bartered, it is not a business.

At least in my state, a group of hunters could process their game at a specific site and not have to register with the feds or state. They would need to keep detailed records and the records would have to be available for inspection during reasonable hours. It is a hassle that most people do not want.

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
At least in my state, a group of hunters could process their game at a specific site and not have to register with the feds or state.
Good luck with that. :bow

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
From the outdoors from which you reduced the migrant bird to your possession Aunt Betty. These are words and terms used in federal and state courts. Just sayin’. He asked. We can “what if it till the cows come in” as a federal magistrate had told me.
There's some shady ground in the guidelines.
According to the federal government "camp" Is like home. You can process and eat your birds in camp UNLESS YOU ARE CAMPING ON STATE PROPERTY IN ARKANSAS. Thats "in the field".
Argue...please

salthunter

Reaction score
Personal abode means one's principal or ordinary home or dwelling place, as distinguished from a temporary or transient place of abode or dwelling, such as a hunting club, cabin, tent, or trailer house used as a hunting club or any hotel, motel, or rooming house used during a hunting, pleasure, or business trip.

the law needs to change, what a pain dealing with wings.
The way I understand the law; can we even process meat to eat in camp?

The law needs to change for all waterfowl seasons

tornadochaser

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The way I understand the law; can we even process meat to eat in camp?
Yes you can process waterfowl at your camp for consumption. You just cannot transport it, and it counts towards your possession until consumed. We grill ducks, snows, etc. on trips and more than once I've had a warden stop by the hotel parking lot to check while we had ducks on the grill.