Changes To Hunting in Manitoba

fowlogic

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a one week maximum. Should stop the illegal Outfitters. I look forward to less competition again. It was always frustrating when you were trying to find a field to hunt, and they were all tied up by nonresident hunters. I know a few guys who only come up for a week, so it won't bother them.
Sounds good to me bang'!!

Kitch67

Reaction score
We only go for a week and wouldn’t have any problems with that. That would certainly decrease the illegal guides. I have several friends that are legal outfitters and they provide a service to the guys that don’t have the equipment to freelance and get to experience the Canadian prairies.

Ramblingman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a one week maximum. Should stop the illegal Outfitters. I look forward to less competition again. It was always frustrating when you were trying to find a field to hunt, and they were all tied up by nonresident hunters. I know a few guys who only come up for a week, so it won't bother them.
Excellent!

grande long

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Im still going to go for 15-20 days fish a week,atv and hangout with friends and fowl hunt for 7.

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Believe there is likely some kind of exemption for non res who own land ,for some period of time before this year, in Manitoba

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope they do not make an exception for non-res land owners. There's your crack in the door. Some non-res with big$ will find a loophole and once one figures it out the rest will follow and then things will go down hill quickly for the residents. I can almost see it now. Joe big$ starts buying up just enough land to meet whatever requirements and his buddies follow suit. Next thing you know everyone starts bitching about everything being posted. Sound familiar? Just look south of the border my friends.

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think the exemption is for non res who have had the land for some period of time prior to this year. So no later buyer can qualify. fwiw

If no such exemption is provided then there will be a "taking" of the existing rights of those prior owners to the extent their lands have been devalued for the use for which they have previously been used. Condemnation typically requires compensation. Doubt Manitoba wants to get in the compensation business for the group of the landowners that might currently be affected by such a taking without a grandfather clause.

Last edited:

duck central

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
very nice post mister gadwall.
I'm one of those people !!! I purchased a small home in SASK. about 15 years ago just for the purpose of fishing and hunting and retirement. Ive got many friends there and just because a few do something doesn't mean everyone is .!!!!!
I don't guide and take ANY MONEY from people that hunt or fish with me. If you think this is a loophole than odds are you'd be the one looking to make money off others.
If you're only looking at the money end, take a look at what happened to Ontario when they did away with spring bear hunting.
The province lost MILLIONS in revenue the first year and then after.
There will have to be a Grandfather Clause./

grande long

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
After the border shutdown it was clear that buying land or houses in canada is not a good idea as you can get locked out.

duck central

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you its been interesting. Youre correct . the pandemic changed the world.
still has been a awesome retreat and I wouldn't trade the memories for money
Awesome people and place