Changing goose tones

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Mwfowler, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Mwfowler

Mwfowler New Member

I have been short read goose calling for a while now and am wanting to be able to change tones. I have seen some places you shouldnt need back pressure to change tones. I have also seen you use back pressure to change tones. Just wondering which way is correct?

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

What do you mean by ...places..?

3. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Watch any of the best callers and they have very active hands. You can adjust tone/pitch somewhat with air presentation and inflection, but range of a call can definitely be exaggerated or enhanced with your hands.

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Watch any of the worst callers and they too have very active hands - they flail their hands around like they are having a seizure whether they are at the beginning of a note, the middle of it to at the end.

brentbullets likes this.
  5. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

I stand corrected only seizing freaks use their hands to a just tone and pitch... grab that call like a baton and party horn away!

Mr.Bones and spaightlabs like this.
  6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Also, always wear gloves. then to change tone you can just add or remove layers of gloves.:dv

Wiscoduckhunt likes this.
  7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Clean air no voice inflection, a lot of deep voice inflection, then anywhere in between.
    Open throat big air, closed throat pinched air, then anywhere in between.
    Movement of hands, closed vs wide open, and anywhere in between.

All have an affect, all can be used, all can be used in a sequence together. Some of it may cause "poor" call operation so you may not win Worlds, but you just may kill more birds.
    Same thing with duck calls, and I switch between using the back of my tongue to do notes and the tip of my tongue to do notes.

It's a mesh of all kinds of this stuff to facilitate faster calling, sounding like more ducks, trick notes so on and so on.