Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Changing times...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Killducks.com, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Refuge Member

Some of you may have noticed some may not... I live in west KY and an avid waterfowler for 29 years. This past season I noticed for the first time ever robins never left. We had robins here all winter which was weird. In Conjunction with lack of ducks and now Corona shutdown what it happening?? ... Well another twist. Bird movement have me a little concerned. When my family and I travel to southern coast for vacations over the years we have encountered ravens which look one crows however make a different call/sound. Well for my 46 years of life and the first time ever, I noticed a group of 15+ Ravens fly over the house 2 weeks ago and heard the raven call again today 03/04. Is this the end??

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

We are having robins nesting down here which is unusual. One issue with birds expanding their range is there are now larger populations of many of those species. Black-bellied whistling ducks for example. Their population was knocked way down in the 1970's when farmers started planting corn seed with a toxic fungicide coating. Same thing with Furvious whistling ducks. But now that this fungicide is no longer used, the black-bellied's are expanding their range to the north but the Furvious species is still hurting. So many other examples to be found.

texduk3 likes this.
  3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Not the end. Just climate change and a global pandemic. Both mitigable problems if society could get on the same page.

hobbydog, spaightlabs and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

I've been aware of robins overwintering in central and sw Ohio for decades so I'm not surprised you'd have them in western KY.
    I wouldn't expect to see Ravens in the eastern US outside of the Applalachians.

5. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Agreed. We have fewer robins wintering here in SE LA than we had in the 70’s and 80’s. Also haven’t seen a meadowlark here in 30 years but that may be due to habitat loss. I haven’t seen a raven yet but would not be shocked.

6. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

Reminds me that I have not had a Robin gumbo in a long time!

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

They are fish crows, not ravens.

CF3FF079-F874-4A3E-87E4-E4D1591364E9.png

8. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

The robins never left, I see the black bellied tree ducks going to roost every night, have fished on a roost pond with fulvious ducks
    but have not seen the larger migration flocks of snows or specks in about 5-6 years.
    In HTown the numbers of white wing doves is increasing also.

9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

As stated above you are seeing/hearing fish crows. They are expanding their range up the MS River drainage.

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I am torn the f & C k up over this. Damn Trump is on the Robins now.