California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Check Station Reports? How did it go ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Check Station Reports?

Any hiccups, good news?

I hope all went well. Lots of effort put into it

Thx

2. Ducgriller

Ducgriller Senior Refuge Member

Mendota went pretty smooth. 400 plus Hunters.
    It sure helped the Enduro 500 heading to the Parking Lot.

A-Ron G, DuckFan and freefall like this.
  3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

The good... I liked the FM Radio Channel, good idea & it worked well. That was a great idea.

Bad... they didn’t even look at our reservation or take a look at / take our passes to get in. Luckily we both have season passes.

The lack of information about water on the refuge should not happen. Period. There’s no reason to not have an ACCURATE flood up map & / or someone there that knew what the conditions were out on the refuge. To say that the map was wrong was an understatement. Luckily we knew the area and had time to search out water.

This was the worst display of lack of logistics in the parking area I’d ever seen. Things were roped off blocking traffic with no way to turn around. The staff AND WARDENS let people park in areas they shouldn’t , blocking traffic & standing in the road out onto the refuge having conversations. That BTW was a warden holding a town hall Literally in the Middle of the road going in... Pretty unsafe and a bad showing of the resources there IMO. I understand that the individual is responsible for themselves and vehicle but the staff created some of this and allowed / did nothing to change it. The ONLY thing they cared about were masks. When we pulled up to check out I had my mask in my hand as I was getting my wallet and getting out of the truck and the guy started yelling at me to put my mask on...I was still in my truck... a little over kill though I understand the concern, It was a bit much & the delivery could have been better. It’s not wise to speak to someone you don’t know in that a confrontational tone if you aren’t seeking one...

I’d really hate to see someone get jammed up for not getting passes / checking reservations. That was pretty shocking as they usually go over them thoroughly. We literally could have had one from last year @ grizzly and they would have let us in. I’m sure as it dies down & through repetition things will get smoother.

I do appreciate them being there and open & I’m sure they’re under pressure so I don’t mean to sound unappreciative. However I also know the only way to improve is through honest feedback.

Brottboss, DuckFan and MattGrima like this.
  4. MattGrima

MattGrima Senior Refuge Member

Definitely seemed like newer staff at the check in booth. 4 Wardens enforcing/barking about masks at 4am was a bit much, but I’m just glad they didn’t shut it down, as easy as they could have.

DuckFan and freefall like this.
  5. MQ

MQ Elite Refuge Member

Was at the San Luis/Salt Slough/ Gadwall CS. When they called 1-5, and the masses started gathering, we were told to go back to vehicles and wait until called, or get shut down. It went smoothly after that.

DuckFan, ducslayer and freefall like this.
  6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

WELL DONE! I wish that had happened today. The mouth breathers were out in force this morning.

DuckFan likes this.
  7. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

I was at Sac and the check in went pretty smoothly, staff was extremely nice I was sure to thank when I and my hunting partners left for doing everything they did. Most of the hunters were following the rules, but there are always a couple who walked up to the check station without masks. But that being said I’ve probably turned around 50 times to get my mask out of the car before heading into the bank or store.
    Kudos to F&W and the UFWS for opening the refuges.
    As for a hunting report 3 of us shot 9 ducks and one speck, we passed on teal in the first 30 minutes and that was a mistake. Lots of sprig, we all could of limited on them, if it was the 1970’s. Shooting slowed pretty quickly and the lack of wind, bluebird skies and warm temps put a damper on much of a morning flight, on the area we hunted.

DuckFan likes this.
  8. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Went to Wister on a #90 rezzie invite. It took about an hour and half for the process to get to pick 90. I handed my license and pass to the inviter up front and napped in the truck. Good news is the chosen site had some water, just not so many ducks. We picked up at 12:30. Three guns got 7 ducks (2 mallards, 2 wigeons, 3 teal). After the first half hour passed, didn't hear much shooting.

DuckFan and freefall like this.
  9. DuckFan

Good constructive comments!! Thank you

freefall likes this.
  10. DuckFan

I really appreciate these comments. Keep em coming.