California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Check Station Reports? How did it go ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

The guys at Sac Complex know. Dennis used to hunt it pretty heavy, Jake hunts it regularly. The guys at Delevan can be helpful depending on who is on duty. Ryan at Colusa is a good guy who'll help you out. Can't say for Sutter. Upper Butte basin guys are helpful depending on who's at the window.

deltahunter, Mudtoes and freefall like this.
  2. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you that the individual I spoke with in the grasslands fit what mark described to a T.

3. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

In the grasslands... most guys are afraid of chipping a nail...

And you really think a staffer that hunts it regularly is going to tell 100 mouth breathers where its happening...

I got to clean up all this rum and coke I just spit all over the computer...stand by...

Ok...
    Their job is to act helpful... they are employees of a business... "the state"...
    What ya want them to say... hell I don't now nothing..... maybe just follow them guys ahead of ya...

freefall likes this.
  4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I agree with you. Most of em are useless as **** on a boar hog.

5. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

Most of the ones at Mendota are full time all year around staff . Pretty
    Knowledgeable. I suspect the same for many refuges . I don’t expect most of them to know how many inches of water is in the north corner of pond x,y and z . Or “what’s the cover like at blind x. It water people .its shallow it’s deep it has water grass,smart weed. Timothy,cockle burrs,weeds or is open. .blind cover sucks after a few weeks at all of them

6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Saw this report for SJ. Looks like a teal fest. The ruddys and coots got whacked hard.

122762600_2118910528245499_4371969340228558033_o.jpg

7. mark seaters

What kills me is a first timer at a refuge asks a staffer where should I go...??? DUH....I never been here ??? staffer points on a map a blind for the guy right in front of me, that I'm eyeing and says this one has been shooting good on the shoot sheet lately....:doh

freefall likes this.
  8. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Sutter...lol...can't wait for the comments.

When Brian ran Colusa, it was a bit more that ticket takers. Very good people. Especially those with years of service there. Not necessarily free with where the x is/was, but more than accomodating. Before the no cash edict, they would go out of their way (often out of their own pocket) to assure you could get all the passes/stamps you needed.

Times change and rules/policies morph to unreasonable, and maybe its reduced itself to ticket takers.

So. Why bother? They could put in self check in machines like Walmart's self check out. Have some uniformed minimum pay person that is not allowed to interfer, watch someone check in without paying,no stamps etc...oh right, they'd get caught by camera because its easy to see its that guy in camo.

My experience is they have been very involved and compassionate in making the system run.

I hope it hasn't devolved to a group of "ticket takers".

Mudtoes and mark seaters like this.
  9. mark seaters

IMO... it's a completely different experience north from south... Freefall just experienced a not so good one...heard many many bad dealings...dealt with a few myself. Of course there will be sack hangers that think everything is perfect.... and I'm happy for them but the over all experience is they just run ya thru and take your ticket.. rightly so as most staffers don't see the same hunters more that a couple times a year...so the refuge experience is not very personable...

10. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Mouth breathers LMAO! No one with any sense is going to tell every Tom, "Dick" or Harry (you can't tell the difference sometimes from a 10 second encounter) where to go and or which blinds to hunt. I have observed some seasonal staff who need to be loved by all want to tell everyone all they know...which may or may not be much.

My personal approach when asked for specific hunt site information was to ask them back first for every place they love to hunt and tell them I will be sure to tell everyone else who comes to the window after helping them. That usually put enough perspective to put the hunt selection issue to rest and just refer folks to the previous days averages. As far as knowing water or habitat issues, this is information which is important to all and should be readily available and posted for everyone to review along with harvest stats.

Seasonal staff may have worked for several years and have knowledge of basic information, or they may have been recently hired primarily for the check station duty and not have a background or experience with the area. This is not a fault it is just a fact. It is everyone's job to BE and not just "ACT helpful" that includes the clienteles responsibilities as well....there is some responsibility on the other end of the spectrum here which is overlooked sometimes by those who have such a breath of experience and impressive history they unfortunately do not realize everyone else doesn't know it all like they do.

Everyone's experience may vary and on the whole it appears everyone is doing a good job and everything they can to facilitate the process as expeditiously and professionally as possible on both ends. There is always a few mistakes to be made and it is hard or impossible to undo some once they have been made and the commitment to not repeating them is paramount.

Sharing what works and constructively critiquing what needs improvement will go a long way toward helping everyone! Thanks to Duckfan as well as responsible hunters for providing and passing along said feedback.

I don't think posting stats on the internet is the best idea. Feedback of my own...from whose "sack" you wish to hang from it is up to your own discretion.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    mark seaters and Sweatliner like this.