California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Check Station Reports? How did it go ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Whats the best blind? Uh, we don't have any blinds.
    Whats the water like? Check the water map, 5 feet to your left.
    What time is shoot time? 1/2 hr before sunrise.
    What time is sunrise? Check the sign on the wall here.
    What does a A pass cost? We don't sell passes.
    What time is quit time? Right next to start time.
    Whats the limit on sprig? Sir, please pick a place.
    Where is the disc map? 6 feet to the left.
    Where are the blind averages? 7 feet to the left.
    Where are the blind averages again? Sir, can you please stop blowing smoke in my face.
    Where are the blind averages again? Sir, can you please not bring your dog to the window.
    I'm number 101 in the lotto. Where are we at with check in? Sir, ressie #5.

I think folks at the check station just maybe might, get a bit numb to things. I've always found, a little understanding and respect goes a long ways.

2. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

THIS!!!!!! :reader AND 100 more repeated 1000x over each and every hunt day. :tu:tu

mark seaters, George and blackdog58 like this.
  3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Tom Trakes is an imbecile. So is Scott Sewell for letting him add a half dozen blinds and doubling the hunters per reservation from 2-4. I don’t care how much Japanese mullet those guys plant, it’s too small of a place for that much banging consistently

Mike_Hancho likes this.
  4. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

That sucks! Did they not start ressies when they were supposed to, time on your letter? That’s no bueno if they didn’t

5. Scal les

Scal les Senior Refuge Member

Scott sewell who's that?

API likes this.
  6. Duck Seeker

Duck Seeker Senior Refuge Member

How many of the check stations are using bar code readers; saw one for the first time yesterday afternoon at a refuge near Davis. It seems like it could speed up the process once staff gets comfortable with it. They also used it to collect bird info on check out; should make posting hunt results quicker & easier.

freefall likes this.
  7. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Went well from what I saw. Some pretty long lines for the lotto and a full parking lot. To be expected from the opener though. Nice to see the person who runs the hunt program helping to do the lotto. Shows a lot. Good to see all of their preparations pan out. It’s not like they had a trial run. It was unveiled on the busiest day of the year.

Overhearing conversations in the lotto line and ressie line in the morning, lots of new hunters. A lot of things we take as second nature many simply don’t know. Rain into a guy yesterday at the ramp that was asking about Sac Valley refuges. New to the state had no idea how they work. Check station personnel have a lot of patience, in my opinion. I’d lose it.

Just a few months ago many were thinking we weren’t going to have a hunt program. Great to see the places open and folks getting out doing what we love.

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

They did start about 3hrs before LST but that didn’t effect us.

9. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I got up at 6am, had breakfast,then walked about 3/4 of a mile, set decoys in the slough and was promptly crowded by a cow moose and her calf!

DuckFan, George and freefall like this.
  10. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Hunted Kesterson sunday. It was pretty goddamn funny holding my documents up to the Window. I also thought it was funny how you fill your card out and they don't even want to see your birds and had a little plastic box for them... I told the kid that his numbers are gonna be way up all year... He started laughing and agreed. But it was smooth. None of the old guys had masks they all had health issues lol.