Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Equal time for the "brown dogs" of the retriever world, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. I don't know a lot about the origin, their habits, or their skill set. I don't even know what the standard colors are. School me on that information.

I know there are a lot of Chessie owners here and I would love to hear from you. From training, to trialing, to hunting and disposition, I'm interested in their habits.

As with any breed, I know there are good and bad. I'm not looking for a beat down from the non-Chessie crowd in this thread. I want to hear about the good, the bad and the ugly as it pertains to your personal experience with your chosen hunting partner.

Don't worry @BAYDOG, I'm working on threads for other breeds, too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swampy likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I don't recommend them to anyone. Better that most folks get Labs, so they'll not blame their own shortcomings on the breed.

3. MJ

I ain't scared. I have a lot of 2X4's in my garage! That's what I need to train one, right? I've found that when training a lab, a stick of 2" pipe works pretty good. Why do you guys you a 2X4? ;)

widgeon likes this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

What I've been told by chessie owning friends is don't bother trying to force one to do anything. You have to fool a chessie into thinking what you want him to do was his idea in the first place.

payton, Randy, seiowa and 4 others like this.
  5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Seems strange that you would put this up here instead of the gun dog forum..............................
    In any case, you ask a Golden, you tell a Lab and you negotiate with a Chessie.

payton, Randy, Out of focus and 4 others like this.
  6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    I had Chessie's before the one's I have now lol. Awesome breed , and to me , the 2nd best out there. I love the history and made In America.

Autum 2.jpg Autum.jpg

JohnBZ, WHUP ! Hen and seiowa like this.
  7. MJ

It's complicated, Doc. In the grand scheme of things, this is the right place at this time to post this here.

I would encourage you to post similar content related to training and trialing on the gun dog forum. I know you're active in both and that you and your wife are successful in events. A video here, a training tip there, some friendly advice to a new trainer... I think that would be a good thing. It would be appreciated and I'm sure something positive could come from your efforts.

A simple reply to a member that posts some training content on that forum could spark more conversation. I'm just as guilty as others when I fail to reply to a post that actually does include a lot of what I mentioned above. I'll try to do better. Care to join me in that effort?

huntaholic21 likes this.
  8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Well. Deff one of the toughest dogs out there. Had one froze to the boat n when sent to retrieve she left her hair on the boat but didn’t flinch. Very territorial but once strangers are in their ok. Training is hit n miss. They are stubborn had one bleed from a pinch collar but wouldn’t sit just looked forward n took it. Not that they are all mean but I won’t own another till my kid is grown n out the house so there’s less chance of strangers/friends in n out the house. Once you get one trained there’s no other dog like a chessie. Honestly first dog I ever trained was my dads gun shy chessie n I did it so I didn’t mess up my black lab pup I was getting. Ended up 1.5 years later to be a awesome gun dog n instead of running when she saw a gun she was jumping in the truck. Dog died of a heart attack at 13 fetching sticks in the snow.

widgeon likes this.
  9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Fellow named Mitch Patterson, who probably had a hand of some sort in as many FC and AFC Chessies as anyone, as well as a number of FC/AFC Labs, once opined in a RTF thread on the differences between them that, in general (he excepted Dual CH AFC Westwind's Rudy of Nordais who trained like the Labs), Labs were more tolerant of corrective pressure, while Chessies responded best to building on successes.

Given that I'm not a pressure trainer and find training Chessies a breeze, I'd not argue with him.

10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

2x4 will work fine but don’t forget the trash can lid for right after you use it.

Incredibly true. With mine it’s almost like an odds game teaching him something new. Give him a lot of opportunities, one of the times with a little prodding he will do it right and then you gotta praise the hell out of him. But god forbid you just show him how to do it right off the bat. He remembers and retains better when he thinks he “figured it out.”

Speaking to which he’s got a mind like an elephant. Never forgets anything. Any remotely pleasurable experience or anything remotely annoying to him, he’s gonna remember.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.