Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

There was a story about a woman sending a chessie to Rex Carr. After about six months she flew to California to see how the dog was doing and also learn to handle it. She walks to the line with the dog to run a blind and Rex hands her a galvanized trash can lid. She asked what it was for and he said it was to protect herself if she had to blow the whistle three times. She didn't believe it and ended up with over 70 stitches across her chest.

auto5 and callinfowl like this.
  2. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Good: highest natural drive to retrieve than any dog I’ve owned.

Physically the most athletic especially in water.

Is an absolute NUT for dummies or any kind of ball. Had a tennis ball roll under an old shipping pallet after I threw it. I didn’t know cuz I lost sight of it (I was working on something and just threw it so he’d leave me alone for a minute). He was gone a long time so I thought somehow he lost it? Comes running back with it gums bleeding and mouth full of wood chips and the ball. He chewed the front board off the pallet for that ball.

While he will never rival a pointer or setter or Spaniel, he is better in the uplands than you would think. Took very little training to handle and quarter.

The bad: very “primitive” temperament. Their mindset reminds me of a stray or street dog, a very healthy sense of self preservation coupled with an almost survivalist “me first” mentality.

Mine is not particularly aggressive but with rowdy or rude players he can get a little “sharp.” I recall once reading that a proper bred Chesapeake may be slightly more likely to choose “fight” over “flight” when presented with both options.

He’s loud. I was shocked at how many vocalizations they have for not being a hound.

Not a bad shedder all the time but blowing that undercoat is INSANE.

Wade Finley and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I feel like some of our best training “sessions” (verbiage used loosely) have come with just us out dicking around and he randomly figures something out. Usually my excitement/pleasure at this time is really genuine so he picks up on it.

Also as an aside mine has Rudy on top and bottom :tu

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

For those unfamiliar with Chesapeake lore, Eloise Cherry wrote in her The Complete Chesapeake Bay Retriever of Rex Carr defending himself from one of her dogs with a trash can lid while training with an early e-collar, as well as his once being treed on his van by that or another of her dogs until help came to find what had happened to him. (Can't say I recall Cooksey's more interesting version.) Anyway, she loved her dogs (couple or three of which did, in fact, earn FCs) and went on to popularize the notion of Chesapeake having an especially protective bent because they once guarded market hunters' goods. For which many in Chessiedom have never forgiven her, as it set the breed up for owners wanting protective dogs and the self-fulfilling prophesy of over-protectiveness being "a Chessie thing," instead of properly socializing pups and breeding mean-natured beasts out of the breed.

And while I'm on this history tear, I'll point out that it was NOT market hunters who went to the trouble of codifying the breed but wealthy waterfowlers and clubs thereof who maintained the kennels and records from which the Chesapeake arose as a breed. Think they'd be happy with hard to train dogs inclined to bite their handlers or strangers? The records of the one such I've read, the Carroll's Island Club, speak ill of dogs inclined to fight with other dogs, much less members or guests, and even of putting a dog down for biting "a hobo," much less members or guests.

I've no doubt, whatsoever, that some of the market hunters' best blood made it into the mix, but would bet something nice that few with manners that couldn't be trusted made the cut, and know from the club's log that dogs of pleasant disposition were highly praised and welcome guests in the lodge.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    seiowa and MJ like this.
  5. bill cooksey

Obviously I wasn't a witness, but I believe it was Evan Graham who told the story while I was training with he and Carter Hughes near Chattanooga. Would've been '91 or '92 when I heard the story, so I won't swear to details or accuracy.

MJ likes this.
  6. Rick Hall

I wasn't there, either, and it's been some three decades since I read Cherry's book (since lost to the shuffle of divorce). Did have a grandson of her DC AFC Tiger's Cub, who was an easily trained excellent hunter that failed to ever bite any of our many, many camp guests much less the handsome young lad (on the right) who trained him sans garbage can lid:
    Bud2.jpg

Closest Bud came to attacking anyone came when he mounted a gal laying out in one of our big white spreads. Can to this day hear her screaming not what one might expect but, "Give it to me, Big Boy!" God bless them both.

7. bill cooksey

Hoot Gibson's wife had a chessie which bit off one of her fingers and swallowed it. Dog was sweet as could be unless you touched it.

8. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Recently got into the Chessie game and am really enjoying it. Wanted something different and also had the wife and son at home alone a lot on our acreage in mind. Our current lab (and any we've had) would lick a stranger to death. Had a bad breeder experience (won't get into it) and ended up making a pretty quick decision that I thought I might regret. Not so and things are going really well. Great drive, great build, great attitude. I do see a different mindset that is not troublesome at all but more independent and a memory as well. Barked his pup head off at a deer in his territory the other night. That was a hoot.

Really enjoyed this read:
    https://www.amazon.com/Chesapeake-R...r+tales&qid=1565454379&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

9. boodog

boodog Elite Refuge Member

Had 4 labs and now on my 2nd CBR. I find that the CBR's have a slightly stronger retrieving drive than the the labs I've had, but are just as biddable as the labs. The stories about negotiating with chessies and using a 2x4 are not accurate w/ the the chessies I've owned. My current chessie is 21 months and has been the easiest pup to retriever train that I have ever owned and has the ability to turn off his strong drive in the house and be a great house dog. Very similar to Okie's experience above.

10. Rick Hall

"Cool story." Might explain the poodle.

Fowler267 likes this.