Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Nah, they both loved that dog. Johnny had a chessie too at the time. I think he ended up doing the poodle thing to be different.

I was eating pizza at their clubhouse before opener one year. Vicki's dog came over and sat in front of me. I looked at Johnny and he said to give her a piece of sausage. I was nervous due to the dog's reputation, but it was gentle as could be. After feeding it a few pieces I started to reach over and pet the dog but Johnny yelled at me to stop or I'd get bitten.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

My experience with Chessies was growing up. Below is a pic of me and my dad with the neighbors chessie. My dad liked the dog so much he got one a few years later. This is the dog we had growing up and learned to hunt over. He was fantastic on ducks but not on upland. The first grouse I shot fell on the other side of a ditch. He went across the ditch and crunched every bone in its body and then left it. To say he was hard mouthed on upland birds was an understatement. He was soft as could be on waterfowl. Nothing we tried would break him of that habit. He had an off switch in the house and loved kids. He was extremely protective of everything he perceived to be his. There were people that could come to the house and he would not even wake up. There were others he hated. One was my older sisters best friend who nobody else liked, especially Duke. (she looked like Rosie O'donnell) One day we were playing outside and he was chained to the porch. She had a job with the city to read water meters. She came by to read the meter and we held the dog while she went inside. When she came out she saw the dog but figured she could get out of the chains length before the dog could get her. That fat girl started to scoot faster than she had ever moved but as the dog hit the last link in the chain he chomped down her fat azz. Just about broke his neck but he had a smile on his face. We all thought it was pretty funny too. I can still visualize it 50 some years later. If he screwed up he did not mind getting punished but he would decide when he had enough punishment and would fight back. My dad was bit twice doing that.

The few Chessie breeders I know today have gone to great lengths to breed those bad traits out of the dog. I would not judge any modern day chessies based on those of yesteryear.

upload_2019-8-10_12-41-3.png

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

FE0956E9-A849-4FC9-8324-E790CA6B251F.jpeg

MJ likes this.
  4. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

@hobbydog
    That's a great picture! Thanks for sharing it.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

@okie drake

Nice looking pup. Thanks for posting it.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Mine have all belied the Chesapeake's "aloof, one man dog" rep and sucked up to our hunters (and house guests) for attention. And they're asked to pose for hero shots a heck of a lot more often than their owner. But I did manage to grab this picture an instant before the late (great) Peake, aka: "the coyote," took off a hapless hunter's head and downed it in a single gulp for making a move toward the bird pile:
    CopyofIMG_2644a.jpg

Really can't image letting a dog that couldn't be trusted around other dogs, much less people, out of its box at a commercial operation, much less in the camp. Or in our open-door policy home full of visiting friends, greatly extended family and our heathen grandchildren's posses (as well as an ever changing cadre of health care workers during the years we cared for Sweet Chereaux's mother).

No question some dumb-arses have bred dumb-arsed Chessies, but most breeders have used more sense, so I've found it no great trick at all to socialize a well bred one. Only dog that ever nailed a stranger-to-him for walking in unannounced was my last Brittany.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Certainly wasn't indicative of all chessies I've been around, and I honestly don't know if they let the dog roam the clubhouse when customers were around. I was just a friend who dropped by for supper. Some dogs are quirky, but I don't think I'd keep one around after it took off my finger and swallowed it. About 20 years ago a guide at the Avery camp's lab tried to bite a dealer who was hunting with him. When I learned of it later I told the guide the dog would be dead if it bit one of our guests. He quit taking the dog.

8. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I've had two Chessies, my current one is 13 and when he is gone I will get another, unless I go the American Water Spaniel route, but I'm sure I will stick with my Chessies. I decided after lots of research I wanted a type of dog that wasn't as popular as lab and I loved the Chessie history. I have had no trouble training either dog, but yes they do have a mind of their own quite often. And all the stories about making them think something was their idea are often true hahahaha. They can be hard headed but mine have been great hunters and more importantly their temperament has been gentle. I say most important because both dogs have grown up with young kids in the house and handling them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    WHUP ! Hen and seiowa like this.
  9. Kornfed

Kornfed Senior Refuge Member

Well, he is the better looking of you two.

widgeon likes this.
  10. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Echo
    Awesome dog, I’ll personally never own another. Too big, too much shedding, did I mention size and hair loss??? I miss her.

E7C0FEB0-A81A-4C8A-99A4-47B5D5E1AB07.jpeg 71D14FAB-01AA-4C0E-8437-7CE065639DD7.jpeg 0F881788-2431-495B-A871-E54CD35251B4.jpeg 9EFC2C13-36A0-411F-8617-87A7B8BBAEB5.jpeg 4D9C12BD-40E5-45D3-B844-7FADAB6C109F.jpeg