Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. The10%

The10% New Member

Only dog I have trained is my Chessie Bear, on a skinny day he's pushing 125. Would jump off a cliff for a duck, isn't phased by sitting in ice water, will beat 90% of dogs to a retrieve, but will eat your sandwich out of the blind.
    He's allowed to roam the property and yet stays next to the house to keep an eye on things(not fixed either). All the delivery people know him by name and hes never been in a fight with another dog. Great retriever, but as said above you can't force him to do anything he doesnt want to.

IMG_0898.JPG 20180913_150636.jpg 20181226_081235.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Whatchou talkin' 'bout, Willis?
    P1010490.jpg

3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I'll be 100% honest, Chessie's scare the crap out of me. I've had far too many bad experiences with them than good. Like I mentioned in the Lab thread, my old roommates family bred them for 50+ years and out of the hundreds of dogs they sold there were only a very few that I trusted and several that I literally wanted to kill. I have a zero tolerance rule in my house and blind if the dog shows any sign of aggression at all it's gone or the owner is asked to leave and is not welcome back into my home or blind with their dog. I've been bit six times in my life, three times pretty bad requiring stitches, five times by Chessie's and once by a little s*** Jack Russell. :l
    If I lived out in the sticks and needed a dog to guard my family and the house, I might consider a Chessie they are great guard dogs and tough as hell but for a hunting dog they just aren't for me.:no

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Good news, that. No one with "guard dog" mentality should be allowed near them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I have had two. Both are gone now to the happy hunting grounds. They were hunting machines. Luv'ed them both. They don't know quit! Definitely one man dogs. Had two labs to and they are competently different in many way.

6. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

On my second Chessie after numerous labs and the next will be a chessie too. My son in law had one and that's where it got started. The first would growl at other dogs if they came near the duck pile, when I ran HT with her without fail the judges would comment on how laid back she was. They definitely are not labs and training them you need to be patient and flexible.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I am picking up my 4th Chessie on Monday. As far as colors go they run a spectrum from dark brown to light deadgrass. I've had a brown, a light deadgrass and a sedge (red). The one I'm getting Monday is a light brown. Color makes no difference. Breed standard is females about 60lbs, males around 80 lbs. IMHO, smaller is better. For my experience all were pretty pretty darn easy to train, contrary to what most non-chessie people will tell you, they do not respond well to harsh treatment. All it took was a harsh word from me and the dogs would shrink. They are eager to please, it's your job to show them what you want! If you are planing on leaving the dog in a kennel all day, get a lab. Chessies do not respond well to isolation, they get pen crazy. They need to be part of a family. Socialization as a puppy is key to a well adjusted chessie.

T.T., hobbydog and 3labman like this.
  8. T.T.

T.T. Elite Refuge Member

A BIG X2! I'm on my third Chessie and the "2X4" crap is just that "crap". In reality, a Chesapeake will shut off; if excessive physical punishment is used on them. As mentioned by my old H.S. buddy, Mitch Patterson in a recent Shooting Sportsman article, you need to show them what you want them to do.

Socialization is very, very important from puppyhood on. It avoids most future people problems, but I love the breed because they sense jerks and bad people better than any other breed of bird dog. They are aloof with most people and dogs, but like the bad people; they seem to sense the good ones quit well, too. They'll protect their family's children like few other dogs.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Have owned & trained 2 over the years. First thing I noticed was they didn,t respond well to pressure of any type. Both dogs natural hunt and retrieve instinct there you just have to learn how to make them use it correctly. First one I had owner tried to make into a guard dog on his property with harsh behavior. Didn,t work and she turned on him. He called me drunk one night and offered me dog for $5. Little female was about 6 months old and we spent a lot of time training same as a lab for 6 years. She died of heat stroke on a hot early dove hunt unfortunately. Never a bad bone in her body with me or my kids. Second was a male I bought as a pup. Hadn,t discovered the e collar for training yet during those years. Dog progressed great thru his puppy training. At that time I wasn,t force breaking my retrievers after puppy teeth and hadn,t had a refusal with either. We moved into learning hand signals at distance where drag line wasn,t feasible and it didn,t take him long to figure out I couldn,t correct him at distance. He became hard headed when training. This was about 1 1/2 yrs old. Always followed them to a t when hunting and this dog lived to retrieve ducks. Hated to retrieve geese on land simply because of weight but would do fine if they were shot over water. Big , burley Chesapeake male that was vary shy of new things first few times around. Where a labs curiosity draws them to something this dog would act timid of situation first time or two around until he was sure of it. Not a bad bone in his body with people but didn,t want other dogs invading his domain. Lived to 13 yrs old and retrieved constantly until 10 when hips started getting best of him. I made some training mistakes with that dog but his natural instinct as a gun dog shown thru.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Humor isn't your strong suit is it? I wouldn't own one if someone gave one to me.

widgeon likes this.