Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Underradar

Underradar Elite Refuge Member

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Come on, I thought the bit about none of mine holding candles was pretty good.

But I'm not trying to be the least bit humorous when responding to your refusal of a gift Chessie by saying that's a very good thing.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I had one that would bite. Damn crazy dog.

4. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I have been around a few owned by family and friends before getting mine and I will concede this. Their temperament is much more "socialization dependent" than many other breeds. If you take it to the park, walk it around a residential setting near dogs/people/bikes/strollers, have it around other people regularly, other dogs, etc, you're gonna be totally fine.

But if you live way out in the sticks, and the dog never leaves the back 40, and has never seen humans outside your family, of course the dang thing will take the mailmans finger off.

I will definitely give the advantage to the lab, if you are not looking to do any socialization early. I would assume 90% of labs would retain their friendliness even if they never left the farm or met anyone outside the family.

3labman likes this.
  5. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted with one where the guy was in way over his head. And another who is great all around.

More bad experiences than not with chessies though. takes a special type.

Also, all the ones I see are 100+ lbs. That's a big dog.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:08 AM
  6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

7. CBretriever

CBretriever Refuge Member

Well I’ll say this if you need a trash can lid or a 2x4 your a f@&$ing idiot.
    You have either been beating or shocking the living **** out of that dog and you deserve the 2x4 yourself or the collar right on your nuts.
    I can take your happy lab and make him one mean sob.
    You can make a lap dog mean if you try.
    I love dogs I’ve seen mean labs and even a nice pit.
    Yes some can have bad temperament but those dogs were NOT properly socialized and most likely mistreated.
    That said I’ve been around 7 chessies and one chessador only one has been a prick.
    He was messed with by friends as I was a teen and they thought it was so funny to make him growl.
    My current girl is the most loving well mannered dog I have had and there is two small children around. The male is a good boy also.

8. seiowa

Well said. It's always struck me strange when guys say "They're soft, they sure can't take the pressure my labs can".

It's like jeeze, if you get the results out of your lab (pretty much the most forgiving animal in the universe) by shocking kicking pinching yanking or slapping, you must not be much of a "trainer."

Phytoplankton likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

How many companion Chessie's, Chessie's walking the Blind or bomb, drug, or cadaver sniffing Chessie's have you seen in your lifetime? None, zero for me and for good reason a good percentage of them have aggression issues and will only work for one handler.

10. seiowa

The "prefer to work for one handler" thing is true and a part of why they aren't chosen. They also arent near as biddable as labs, some of the most biddable and even tempered dogs on the planet. Even well trained ones will occasionally "flip you the bird" or blow you off on something sometimes. Can't have that when you're sniffing for bombs or contraband.

But its not because most are aggressive. Out of curiosity, how long ago did you most recently spend time around a chessie regularly? And what was that particular dog's living conditions (in the house, in a kennel, out on a farm, etc? )

callinfowl likes this.