Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 10, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

It's been about 20 yrs, and they ranged from inside the house dogs, kennel dogs to free ranging ranch dogs. Like I said I've literally been around hundereds of them. My old roomates family raised them, there were 11 kids in their family and the family was involved heavily in youth sports and church groups. Very few of their dogs could be trusted around the entire family let alone church or youth sporting events. And it wasn't just their lines because they tried to breed the meanness out of them by bringing in new animals from across the country and Canada. I get why some people love them, because when you do find a good one they are cool dogs that are very hard working. Personally, I've only seen about 6 in my lifetime that I would consider a good dog. Then again, I don't care for aggessive animals that need to be watched 100% of the time around family and friends or other dogs and pets.

2. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Trying to think of breeds of various critters I could say the same about....depending on the definition of 'been around' I guess....outside of being in an arena where there were dozens or hundreds around (which certainly wouldn't qualify for making assessments), not coming up with much....but doesn't mean another couldn't though. Especially regarding Chessies it does indeed seem impressive.

ETA: Looks like prior post was removed.

3. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

If you ask anyone involved in the breed much, 20+ years ago, the aggression problems you speak of were a lot more prominent. I recall an uncle of mine who had one that was mean as hell. Very obedient, great hunter. Never broke, always honored, but you better not touch him and it was just best to not even look at him. This was also 25 or more years ago. Guy i got mine from was honest and said the last mean one he heard of in his lines was mid 90s. He never knowingly kept or bred a mean one, a buyer got back to him a couple years after getting a pup and said the thing had to be put down.

Kenneled up and free range ranch/farm dogs are about the two most irresponsible things you could do with a chessie.

callinfowl and Phytoplankton like this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Whatever dude, if you don't, believe me, I don't f'n give a rip.
    If someone that grew up with a family that bred these dogs their whole life hasn't been around hundreds of them I'd be calling them a liar. Insinuating that I am lying or that you know better than me is par for the course with you. :tu:tu:tu:doh:l:l:l

5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

You've not been around a lot of bomb/drug dogs. I worked with them for years and was trained as a canine agitator (in the bite suit!). Almost all bomb/drug dogs will only work for their handler, it's not like you go to the police kennel and "Check one out", it doesn't work that way. How many hunting labs or goldens only work for their owners, most I think. Also almost all bomb/drug dogs are also trained for protection. One major reason you don't see chessies as guide dogs is their prey drive, you can easily find Labs, and golden retrievers that have all the hunt bred out of them, never seen a chessie that didn't want to hunt.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Sorry I left you hanging by deleting something that was already obvious to anyone with a clue, okie.

Take from it what you wish.

okie drake likes this.
  7. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

No worries by me. Just didn't want to raise an issue by quoting a post that was gone so I added the edit.:tu

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

This could be true, I have no idea. I will say that I still have 3 friends with chessie's that I wouldn't walk up to without them being right by their side. And out of those 3 two of those dogs are on their "last bite" with the County and are known as aggressive animals which makes their homeowner ins. rates cost more per year.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I'll be perfectly honest I've never seen one that would hunt better than even a halfassed Lab.
    I can go pick up any of my buddies dogs and they would hunt almost as hard for me as they do for them. And I don't have to worry about being bit or them biting someone else or getting into a dog fight.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I have been around plenty of service dogs, my old girlfriend's parents raised and sold or donated dogs to the Lighthouse for the blind and other organizations in CA. The dogs that failed as blind dogs were normally trained to be search and rescue animals and drug sniffer's for airports and boarded crossings. Guess what breed they weren't?:l:l:l
    I get it like I said if ya got a good one ya got a good one.:tu