Chevy wheel bearings

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not a rag on Chevy but I had no idea the front wheel brgs on a 2005 Silverado 2wd 1/2 ton are nonreplaceable. You got to buy the entire hub assy with studs if your brgs go out. It must have something to do with the ABS speed sensors?

cut em'

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not a rag on Chevy but I had no idea the front wheel brgs on a 2005 Silverado 2wd 1/2 ton are nonreplaceable. You got to buy the entire hub assy with studs if your brgs go out. It must have something to do with the ABS speed sensors?

yes and just be glad that you do not own a 4wd. the part cost about 160 bucks

hnkr83

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my hubs a few weeks ago. It's very easy to do yourself and the hub assemblies should run around $150 a piece.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What about 2003 Ford F-250 wheel FX4x4?

Bexar

goosenazi

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What about 2003 Ford F-250 wheel FX4x4?

Bexar

Looks to be the same. The one site I checked $123.xx each.

By the way, Chevy guys, there is a site where you can get a pair of front hubs for around $134. I'll see if I can find it.

Found a better one

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Price isn't everything. The 125.00 hub and bearing are not worth installing in my opinion. The ABS wheel sensor tolerance has to be dead nuts or there will be problems. The GM unit comes with the new sensor and the hub is updated.

On the Ford hub units they have really come down in price at the dealer. Again you get what you pay for.

----------kevin----------

goosenazi

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Price isn't everything. The 125.00 hub and bearing are not worth installing in my opinion. The ABS wheel sensor tolerance has to be dead nuts or there will be problems. The GM unit comes with the new sensor and the hub is updated.

On the Ford hub units they have really come down in price at the dealer. Again you get what you pay for.

----------kevin----------

I've replaced both sides on my truck. One with OEM, one el cheapo. The OEM is the one that needs to be replaced again. And why not, it's almost been 2 yrs:doh I can change it in less than an hour, I'll buy the 2 pack for $120. I'll consider myself luck if my truck has 5 years/100,000 miles left on it. Different strokes for different folks.