California Flyway Forum Sponsors

child abuse

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by OFH, Dec 18, 2019.

1. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday my son and I were witness to gross child abuse by our duck hunting host, who had his four year old son with him as we hunted. It pains me to describe how the poor little tyke, all bundled in camo and sitting on a raised platform of the stand-up blind we were in, pretending to have a good time, while all the time it was obvious he’d rather have been watching tv cartoons. I don’t know how his father made him smile and point every time he saw a bird fly by, nor how he never uttered a word of complaint for a solid two hours in the cold and damp, but that he did. It was obvious that his old man had forced him to carry a bb gun to the blind, which he used to aim at birds flying overhead, all the time pretending to enjoy it. He even blew a passable duck call, a very good one for a child that young. Yes, the father has infected this poor child with a duck hunting virus that he will never overcome.

All kidding aside, what a joy to watch father and such a young son enjoying the day and each other’s company. You guys who are taking the kids out, keep it up! In their lifetimes they may well see an end to legal duck hunting, so they should get in all they can. Unfortunately my only grandson has always been immune to the duck virus, but he has a sister bound and determined to take a deer with a bow and arrow. There is always hope.

2. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

Mine is hooked already.

Attached Files:

Sweatliner, Beniciahd, API and 4 others like this.
  3. Ducky18

Ducky18 Senior Refuge Member

That’s awesome. I’m taking my 6 year old son for the first time this weekend. Have been looking forward to this day for a long time.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Glad you got out again Mr Old Fart.
    That is how Pop's raised us as well, pretty much as soon as we could walk.
    He carried my older brother and me over water filled ditches and through deep mud and water on his shoulders while carrying his shotgun and two dozen of those old Paper mache Sprig decoys in SF Chronicle paperboy bags. We wore knee high rubber boots with green plastic garbage bag inside them to keep our feet "dry".....yeah right, but we did! We wore old tan canvas duc wool lined coats and matching pants over our thermal underwear and flannel shirts and wool sweaters . When they, not if they got wet they would weigh a ton. We froze our butts off and hated waking up so early and wearing those smelly old cloths. It's a wonder either my brother or I ever went back. I guess the bug got us as well.
    Boy, those were the days.

When I hear guys talk about leaving their kids home because it's raining or too cold I laugh. And we wonder why kids are so hooked on TV and video games these days, it's because they are spoiled and pampered these days.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Make him go even when he wants to stay home, it will either grow on him or turn him into a vegan.:yes:bow:bow:bow:tu

6. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

Don't forget hand warmers.

Rebranger and Mudtoes like this.
  7. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I remember my son at 7yo or so staying something that was hilarious.
    My wife asked him how it was and he says "it was great, dad let me drink a whole Dr Pepper at 4am"!

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

That's awesome.:bow:bow:bow

partyfowl likes this.
  9. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

I was abused by my half brother who was 18 years older than me. It was 1958, and I was 7 years old and he drove me in the early hours to a duck club just south of Sutter NWR bundled me up in the warmest clothes I had, slipped on a pair of red rubber boots over my shoes and carried me piggyback out to his tank in the dark. I was forced to watch flocks of Waterfowl crossing the sky. A weird feeling came over me, a spell struck which would change my life. I become a duck hunting bum. I spent untold dollars on everything duck related. Guns, decoys and trucks and fuel. Crazy retrievers, all as addicted as myself. Living near SF Bay my father drove me to where I stashed a boat and I rowed out to stilt blinds and placed all the decoys I could scrounge.
    I grew older and had to become selected in dating. Would the relationship last through neglect during the fall. Luckily I found the right one. She has survived over a total of 49 years in this relationship. Yes it is a disease, as dangerous as any in the world.

10. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

I curse my Grandfather every hunt for putting this disease in me....Man I miss him!