California Flyway Forum Sponsors

child abuse

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by OFH, Dec 18, 2019.

1. JWR

JWR Refuge Member

I got my kids hooked on fishing by allowing consumption of a lot of soda and cookies on the boat. By the time they were 12 (twins) all I had to do is back the trailer in and they did the rest. They are both great shots but I have not gotten them into duck hunting, just dry land critters. It wasn't intentional I didn't back into it until a dozen years ago.

Although one of my greatest Dad moments was sitting on the tailgate after a morning of fishing with my daughter who was about 10 when she said; "That sure beat sitting on the couch playing video games."

2. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

I'm not sure how a young child mentally processes the positive-gunning experience, and that - in my experience having raised two sons - appears to vary within the range of 4-5-6 year olds. A friend's son never had the desire to hunt with his avid-hunting father or grandfather (and to my knowledge never has) - my two never wanted to do anything else, hunting or fishing, no matter what the target species.

My only suggestion would be to let them make that go-or-nogo decision - not YOU!

Factor in the anti-hunting criteria that's being taught in our public schools, and you'll wonder whether blood-sports really have a future...

My two are now hunting together but solo, and perhaps the last of their generation do so. Our next and only hunt together in nearly two seasons is planned for mid-January - but they're now taking me...
    12605375_10102095229185776_3669166772870182382_o.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    smith46, freefall and Brottboss like this.
  3. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Your friend's son is just like my grandson - not an atom of blood lust in his system, telling his father that he just did not enjoy the thought of killing things. And, as you suggest, my son never tried to argue him out of it. There are those who love hunting and those who don't, and I agree that the parent should not be the decider.

CanardNoir and Brottboss like this.
  4. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Merry Christmas, any time with your child afield is priceless.

API likes this.
  5. smith46

smith46 Senior Refuge Member

Love the old picture of the sprig. Those were the days.

6. CanardNoir

But now, whether it walks, crawls, flies, swims, or slithers along the ground - even their sister has gotten the "fever"!

Attached Files:

7. CanardNoir

On the other hand - they could now be the end result of far too many good hunts?

Attached Files:

Bigshot75 likes this.
  8. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

What kind of ducks are those in that bottom picture?