Choking bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Alright for the guys that use bismuth or tried bismuth.. I hear you can choke it like lead?... now I know patterning ur gun is the way to do it an I will... but right now when I shoot steel I use my factory extended imp cylinder choke that came with my sbe3 with steel for my shots 35-40 yards an closer... but I dont get alot of hunts in because of work... so I'm thinking about trying bismuth since I'm not the guy who shoots case or more of shells a year... what shot sizes are good for mallards an honkers in this range?... and is my extended factory modified good enough to choke down bismuth??.. I'm not the guy to go out an buy aftermarket chokes cause i tried a few an i dont see the advantage over my factory chokes... I've always went back to my factory chokes after trying them

2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I'd shoot #4's through Mod. at those ranges unless it was super windy over 20 mph then I would shoot #2's through IM or Mod but full wouldn't be out of the question. You gotta shoot a few rounds at paper to see which works best for your gun.

Drake91 likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Pattern a few loads that your going to use on paper with your factory modified choke, then go tighter or looser in choke constriction depending on how the patterns look and if they fit your needs. Same as for steel or any other type of shot.

Drake91 likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Haven,t shot any in several years but when I did it was 3" 5,s thru Briley duck choke in my 11-87. Mikes out L mod. That load Would absolutely stone ducks at that 40 yd and further mark choked that way. They were a kent Bismuth loading at the time new on the market so you no its been several years but it reminded me of the better lead loads in its performance. For your intended range I would say L mod to mod would be about right . Pattern a few to tell.

Drake91 likes this.
  5. Drake91

Thanks guys I'll be picking up a box this weekend thinking of trying the 2 3\4" 1 1\4oz of 4s they are $30 a box at cabelas... I'll put some in paper over the weekend an see how it goes

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Bismuth 4s.

Chokes: factory tight and tighter.

5535A105-3D44-459D-BF87-096015D6965B.jpeg

BTW, I bought these shells a Cabelas.

Kent’s 2 3/4” 1 1/4oz 4s and I did not pattern them but it worked at 40 yards.

dog duck gun, Drake91 and 10GAGENUT like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

Looking at that picture a few times you keep tempting me to bring my Baker SXS in the field with Bismuth.
    As always, you have a real nice looking gun.

8. Drake91

Makes me wanna buy a sxs lol... I never owned one an never shot one just O\U is the only double barrel I've shot... I own a beretta o\u might take it out a few times this season

9. 10GAGENUT

I'm tempted but it's just talk and I would proabably never do it with that old Baker. I was made in 1913 with Krupp steel barrels which is extremely rare, not to mention the Krupp works that supplied Nazi Germany with gun barrels up to 16 inch naval guns was totally destroyed during the war. Proabably never find another one like it and if I did I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Drake91 likes this.
  10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Believe Krupp built the barrel for the railgun that they used in WWII.