Choking bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Could be they built quite a bit of the guns barrels the Nazis used. Barrels on the Baker are stamped Krupp Steel, first and only Baker I've ever seen with that. Supposedly Krupp Steel was some of the best made in the world, I've read even today it's just as good as some of the better steels made.
    Post a picture of the stamp up if I have one.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

To the OP's question , remember the constriction needed isn't what your Steel Shot chokes required but a constriction that's used for Lead Shot !
    FWIW , a full choke for Lead is .035 and a Full choke for Steel shot is .020 , I like .025 with Bismuth but I also Buffer my loads as todays Bismuth
    is 9.6 g/cc , much harder than the 3 % tin stuff of years ago .

Drake91 likes this.
  3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

My factory modified an improved cylinder run tighter than actual listed constrictions since when u look up the benelli bore of .725 my bore might be tighter than what the standard is like a improved cylinder should be .715 mine mics at .711... then my mod should be .705 it's actually .698 so the mod might be what I need for bismuth but the pattern board will tell me this weekend... I know with steel i get the most uniform patterns with my improved cylinder my mod is kinda blotchy an only like 2-4 shot in steel wont pattern anything else worth a crap

4. 10GAGENUT

Here you go first picture showing Krupp Steel marking on barrels, second picture factory engraving on Baker R model,
    Like I had said only one I've ever seen with Krupp barrels on it krupp.JPG bakerR.JPG

Sunklands, ronaldo and dog duck gun like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

I'm finding out as I go along with some bismuth loads if you use better components and don't load bismuth like lead shot loads the patterning results seem to be much better.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's a Fact Joe , the 800X load in a AACF hull with a 12114 wad works well for me but , I do like to Buffer it , patterns seem better !

7. 10GAGENUT

Ah Ha, why I couldn't beleive some of the HW and TSS loads on that BPI data sheet. Use the right hulls and components and those 5000 psi loads would be a lot different.

8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Hey this sounds like what I'm using, I got it from Goosepit and perusing the hodgdon loads. But I need to pattern it, wasnt happy with 35yd performance last year, think it was pretty spread out... I was probably underchoked with LM as I was trying to split the middle for steel shot and use it too. And I wasted my time patterning that red waa wad, think its their 1-3/8 oz one hodgdon uses for most 12ga bismuth, and those werent great.

9. 10GAGENUT

I know your a fan with BPI but if take a look at that data sheet with the HW and TSS loads I really don't know why they even published some of them. Don't know of to many people who would use HW shot for target loads so those had to be hunting loads, in the 5000 psi range that's ridiculous and as I said blooper when the weather turns a bit cold.
    Lyman, RSI and I would guess Precision (haven't looked at their data in a while) all have loads for taper wall hulls like the Winchester AA compression formed or the Remington STS, BPI does not. Manipulating hulls using taper wall hulls will increase pressures over straight wall hulls by 2000 psi or more and fit the bill with many of the lighter HW loads.
    Another reason why I won't deal with BPI, they won't list loads for taper wall hulls becasue they don't sell them and there's no profit in it for them. Not that it matters that if they list taper wall hull loads they will give customers some good load information that to me seems unimportant to them.
    Anyways that load Larry posted up seems like a winner and I'm sure could easily made to be used with the STS hulls as well.

10. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Yep. If I think thru all the loads I'm actually using now, I think none of them are straight from BPI Sheetz anymore. In 20 gauge my main heavy weight load is downloaded seven grains from what they publish! In 28 gauge bismuth, all nine of the loads from BPI I was interested in are no longer published and I'll have to retest at least one of them. In 12 gauge I just like 9/8 Oz Steel which tons of people publish. In 20 gauge steel I don't like any of their loads, and I'm using my own load I had tested based off dla's test. In 16 gauge I'm using your load essentially, but the data I sent in and had tested which is just a little bit different. And if I get Federal Halls then I'm just using them with the info you and I have pmdd back and forth. So I can't think of a single BPI load that I'm actually using as published, mostly I guess I just look at their data as some sanity check data points which I marginally trust.