Choking bismuth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Aug 8, 2019.

1. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

I use 1 oz of 5 Bismuth and 7/8 oz of ITX 6's in my old sxs's tight IC in the right and IM in the left(rarely need the left). The ITX 6's are my got to load.

French Manufrance Robust
    [​IMG]

Husqvarna 51
    [​IMG]

Sorry the birds look a little rough but they have to take a mile and a half hike in the bottom of the decoy bag to get to a camara.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. goosepit

goosepit Refuge Member

Choke that load down to improved mod or full and get after ducks and geese!!
    10 grains buffer seems to be right on the money if want to ad buffer to this recipe.

Ravenanme likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would agree, except for the wind...

I used to tighten up patterns in the wind as well (I really struggle in the wind)… After hunting with a couple guys that could shoot in the wind, they both open up their chokes in the wind.

It is my understanding that wind does not degrade the patterns, it moves the whole pattern. I typically shoot birds at closer ranges in the wind (cause birds tend to come in better range, and I can't hit them out as far as I can without wind). I have had some improvement by either staying with my standard choking (LM) or opening up a bit (IC) with steel. I still love hunting in the wind, and hate shooting in it...

And in Bismuth, I would probably only jump to #3's.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

It's amazing what going up a few shot sizes will do , in the wind ! Knowing what your loads will do on the patterning board , at certain distances , will
    give you the advantage of shooting in the wind , also ! I love the wind when it's Blowing hard as , there're times when letting the bird/birds go past you ,
    is the better time to shoot , for me .

5. bbforducks

bbforducks Elite Refuge Member

#4's LM or Mod over decoys out to 45 yards
    #3,s Geese and ducks #3,s out to 45 yards
    patterning is your frind