Clean shells

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mpkowal, Jan 9, 2020.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I recently washed a couple Hevi Metal shotgun shells left in a pocket in both the washer and dryer.Would these be safe to shoot? Oh BTW they look nice:doh

salthunter likes this.
  2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't.

5 stand likes this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Upside you save $3
    Downside is blowing up your gun.

4. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

NO! Toss 'em.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

If you shoot an O/U or S/S no problem if they go boom you're good to go, if they are fizzler's check the bore before loading up another shell. The drying cycle might have saved them for you......:l:l:l

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Safe? Sure. Worst thing that would happen is somehow water got to the power, or into the primer. Then you would just have a click. If, as call'n says, you just hear a pop, then check the barrel.

Now, advisable? No. Coupe of shells ain't gonna matter in 10 years. Especially Hevi Metal shells.

7. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Elite Refuge Member

absolutely safe, the worst what happens, you are going to deal with getting the wad out of the barrel. The second worst - you will hear a click instead of a boom and you will see how the duck gets away.
    Now your choice, is it worth for you to take the chance?

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Had some bad shells in the Hevi Metal recall a number of years back. Two times, had the gun go "pop" when I pulled the trigger. I can guarantee you that when you are disassembling your gun to remove the barrel to push the wad out the ducks and geese will be piling in. Ask me how I know. :dohAt least with an automatic you should not be able to fire another round because the gun will not eject the dud.

If you shoot a pump and get a wad stuck in the barrel and just chuck another round in and pull the trigger the barrel will blow up. Ask me how I know. :doh(Buddy's gun...my hearing loss is collateral damage).

I know the OP likely asked the question in jest, but I don't F around with questionable loads.

9. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    put them in the top row of the box you leave open in the blind. After your partner steals them while you're pissing you'll find the answer when he shoots them.

dog duck gun and Diver Slayer like this.
  10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I trashed them,I have plenty of good rounds,but only a few shotguns.