Closed to Canada goose zone changes?

2eagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I just heard a rumor that there will be changes to some areas closed to Canada goose around certain public marshes next season. I looked at recent news on the IA DNR website but didn’t see anything. Any of you guys hear anything?
Personally I’m not sure how I feel about this because it can possibly effect some of the field hunting I do.

brentbullets

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been talked about for a few years now. Possibly opening up some fields to hunting which would increase opportunity. There are some fields I can shoot ducks but can’t shoot geese so if this what they are talking about I am all for it. This in turn could very well make hunting better all around so the geese don’t just feed in the refuge fields. It will be an absolute slaughter the first year though.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard any talk about it for a couple years.
The last serious talk I remember was specifically about Bays Branch.
I'm sure it's coming though. My concern would be to not mess with our limits especially the early limit of 2 , local birds over most of the state couldn't tolerate 3 or more for the whole season.

I'd email Orrin , he's always been good about getting back to me when I've emailed him .

mightywalleyehunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I honestly think with urban sprawl spreading so quickly around the metro, and geese have acclimated so well to city living that theres an argument to open bays branch for a half season
maybe the early season geese

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There are several goose outfitters that operate in the unincorporated areas of Cook county (ie: Chicago). Apparently, they do quite well. However, from what I've read, it isn't uncommon to receive major harassment from citizens and the police in adjoining cities, including SWAT teams. It is my understanding that the guides are always equipped with GPS units, USGS maps and Cook county maps so they can show the local authorities EXACTLY where they are and that it's legal...and God help you if you set foot on city property with a uncased shotgun.
Personally, that doesn't sound like fun. If that was my option, I'm outta here.

GetDuck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything for a couple of years there was a push for a bill to change open the goose zones up. but it got shot down (no pun intended) the bigger issue is the metro zones and the days used for it , that it detracts from the regular season days. there are very few areas within the metro that can be hunted so it does very little for reducing the metro population. so why waste those days for a season and zones that accomplish very little.