Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

CO Season Fail ?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by swampstomper, Dec 20, 2018.

1. swampstomper

swampstomper Senior Refuge Member

From what we,re experiencing here in seTX this season I believe there,s going to be alot of dissapointed snow goose hunters this spring. Geese are not messing around this season and I don,t think e-callers are going to make much of a difference. I don,t think many of these newer spring snow goose guides have tried hunting smart geese like this before. Seems like we get one of these bad hatch,s every 6-8 yrs or so. Just glad we have specks and cranes to hunt here.

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

When geese are new to an area, going N or S, they are not so smart.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Yes.....been saying this since our Sask trip in Sept. Get ready for disappointments when trying to shoot all these adults snows. Complete opposite of last year. We gave up trying to hunt snows in Sept. Switched to Canadas and Whitefronts when we were up there. The only thing that would make for a better hunt would be the weather.

Like you say......might thin out the guiding population.

If it were me with a guided hunt scheduled.....I would cancel it.

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

All about expectations I guess. For those that hunt them every year regardless and know how hard snows can be, then they will just go and see what happens knowing it will probably be tough while still enjoying the chase. That's where I'm at.

I'll consider the banner year last year the anomaly and great memories, and expect back to more of the usual frustrations this year. We had numerous great hunts last year and I kept saying they aren't even acting like snows (i.e. dumping in after one or two passes, right in our face). Of course, our kill was primarily juvies. So, back to usual this year....

5. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

as "Jolle" alluded to, it just depends on your point of view. For those that go out just to kill as many birds as possible, yes this year is going to break some of them. But for many of us, killing the big numbers is not what makes for a successful and enjoyable hunt. Certainly everyone enjoys a good juvie shoot, but you really learn how to be successful at decoying snow geese by doing battle with the adults. I personally am looking forward to the challenge!

6. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

hopefully it thins the herd of Walmart hunters also.bad dog

7. swampstomper

swampstomper Senior Refuge Member

We,re still trying for sure, I,m at the age where I enjoy the chase more than the take. It,s just amusing to see loads of snow guides on social media tellin folks to get thier dates booked fast. As stated earlier, if I were traveling and paying a guide I,d wait till next season.

8. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

If there was ever a year to choose and pay a little more for a reputable guide this might be the year to do it. Unfortunately for most they ll already be booked up. There is a reason they are at the top of the game. Regardless, get out there and enjoy the spring migration back to the nesting grounds.

9. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

last year was like a dream vacation. this year will be just another day at the office. some people will still kill geese, most won't. its like anything else. location and conditions. hunt the x and even in less than stellar conditions, you will still kill birds. hunt the x in perfect conditions, you are gonna have a good day, even with adults

10. pull-do

pull-do Elite Refuge Member

In the past in s.e. Texas when we had a bad hatch I found the key to be the pressure. Once the big time guide operators shut it down because of no birds working and this was from opening day on, then the key was to leave them alone and let them get relaxed. I had some of the best hunt, decoying, ever in my career. Just me and my dog.
    I hunted a lot of fallow fields and the best was marsh hunting, very good decoying action.
    We just don't have the birds anymore though.

explorer17 likes this.