Coast Guard Moving me to Buffalo

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Maza62, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Maza62

Maza62 New Member

Good Evening,

I just found out this week the coast guard is transferring me to Buffalo. The first thing I do when I find out where I am going somewhere, I start to research the hunting situation. I would love some info on where to get started in the Buffalo area. I have been duck hunting in Virginia, NC, and SC through coast guard moves and looking forward to learning a new region outside the coast. I am perfectly happy with public land hunting and I am also willing to join a club/lease. I have a dog and a 16ft Jon boat with 25hp. To add to my hunting obsession I also am an avid bow, grouse/pheasant and turkey hunter. Any info or pointers or club/lease info would be extremely appreciated. I will be digging into the state hunting info this week for their info.

Thank you.
    Alex Maza

2. Sodfather

Sodfather Refuge Member

Welcome to the area as far as duck hunting you’ll find out that the diver ducks are more plentiful than the puddle ducks. As far as your other game of choice WNY has plenty of state land to roam about.

3. Maza62

Maza62 New Member

Thank you for the reply. Yes, divers is what I have been reading about. That will be a new adventure for me, looking forward to it. Just got our house it will be in West Falls so that should be a quick hop to the Allegheny.

4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I've heard of guys hunting the niagara for Cans. No personal experience, I live about 80 miles east of there.

5. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    See if you can find someone to mentor with a season if you plan to hunt the lower river. Currents are a bear, and dangerous. Now get out into the open lake and you'll be ok, though I would trade the Jon for a deep V. Head out my way and I'll be happy to take you out.

Sodfather likes this.
  6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    46492769_10217295723766396_4245937448292450304_o.jpg 46492769_10217295723766396_4245937448292450304_o.jpg 49656269_10217684699970558_5718271027843170304_o.jpg

Sodfather likes this.
  7. Sodfather

Sodfather Refuge Member

Shoot me a Pm this fall your not far from me, and can hit up a couple spots.

8. Maza62

Maza62 New Member

Will do that’s great, thanks.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Well at least your shotgun won't rust as much. :joker

10. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

Maza62... Small world!!! I was stationed in Buffalo, NY (I'm a retired "Coastie") back in the 80's!!! :D

Seriously - talk to me. PM me. I can tell you everything you need to know about Buffalo! My wife was even born, bred, and raised there too. All her family still lives around Buffalo!

If you are married, I can tell you everything about the various off-base military housing units too. Just get ready to enjoy the snow in the winter. There will be a lot of it. Believe me... Been there, done that...

Edit: For everyone on the NY Flyway forum - allow me to briefly introduce myself. Even though my location says "Richmond, VA" I am originally from upstate New York. I grew up around Poughkeepsie (2 hrs north of NYC) and my folks had a lakefront summer home up in the Adirondacks, way up north beyond Saranac Lake. In the late 70's when I graduated HS, there was nothing to do, so I joined the Coast Guard and made a career out of it. I retired here to Richmond, Virginia and have been here ever since. I still have family (both my wife and myself) in upstate NY and we both visit relatives from time to time. The best is my oldest sister up near Utica, who has a 125 acre horse farm, loaded with deer, turkeys, and migrating Canadian geese. Free place to stay, and I can go hunting up there anytime I want! :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019