Coincidence ????

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A couple of Saturdays ago I was hunting a pond, didn't think anyone was around and was startled by a gunshot behind me, a little latter one north of me. I realized it was someone jump shooting, Eventually 2 guys showed up a tall one and a round one. I nic named them Gumby and Pokey/Porky.

They get 78 yards from me and stop to stare at the decoys for 10 minuets, with birds flying. I blew the calls and whistle but they never took the hint to move on. By the time they got to the parking lot I got bird #6 and noticed them standing by our trucks talking for about 10 minuets. Porky climbs in and stays while Gumby loads up a sled and drag's it about 100 yards south of me and sets up.

A spoonie drakes does it perfect so I finish up pull the decoys and leave doing a wide arc around so I don't interfere with any birds that might come into Gumby.

Since It was a pretty good spot I do the whole show up at 6 PM , sleep in the sweatline routine and get set up in the same spot. The only problem at this point is the Teal Mojo isn't working. So after 20 minuets of changing batteries I said heck with it and sat there kicking myself in the butt for not having a jerk rig back up. It was dead calm and I was hoping for some wind.

I missed a teal at 1st light and noticed the birds were not acting right which I blamed on no wing, no Mojo, no jerk rig, Then I noticed Gumby and Porky slowly walking down the dike. Again they get 78 yards from me and carry on a 5 minuet conversation . They moved on but cut back and started setting up 60 yards from me. I walked to the edge of the decoys and asked if they were really gonna set up there. Porky was still struggling to get out to where Gumby was setting decoys. Porky said that they were hunting there . I warned they they had better not shoot my dog and I wasn't gonna care if I shot in there direction. We had about a 5 minute stand off while they had a discussion and they finally moved on and set up about 110 yards away. Of coarse birds were ever where this whole time.

Then the duck calling started , non stop. By 8:00 I never fired a shot and they sky busted at a few and never drew a feather. As I was picking up to move the calling continued... I was PO'd and every time they called I let out a long whistle on My Acme Thunder dog whistle just to be a d***. I moved on crossed the dike to a pond were I'd seen a big flock of Ringnecks dump in the week before.

I sat there steaming missed a mallard and started calling sporting good stores till I found Mojo's at Bass Pro in Manteca . I rarely hunt Sunday's but my girlfriend was at the coast and the 49ers didn't start till 3:30 so I left with plan's of staying an extra day. I did talk to a young guy hunting about 500 yards south of us and he asked If I'd heard the non stop duck calling.

Then I did the couple hour drive and bought the Mojo's (last ones) they were holding for me. I looked around Bass Pro decided I didn't need a 5 gallon drum of Popcorn or a 10 lb bag of beef stick's and made the 2 hour drive back.

I found a restaurant with the game on had a beer and dinner and lamented about my day. I got a good 9 hour's sleep in the sweatline and this time headed back to spot I'd seen the Ringnecks hit. It was sloooow on Sunday but I got 2 birds and decided to walk the dike to jump shoot and scout the area. I forgot about the jump shooting part and had my gun slung over my shoulder and jumped a pair of mallards at 15 yards:mad: I finally left around 10:30.

I called my girlfriends daughter to check in on the other dog and she asked me if I could take the truck and pick up a dresser for her. I told her I would do it Monday but needed to clean the truck 1st .

Monday I get up and head to the car wash 7:00 and I noticed someone has keyed my truck :mad::mad::mad:

As far as I know I haven't pissed anyone off of in CA and all my Ex's live in MD.

No way to prove who keyed my truck but I didn't park near anyone at Bass Pro or the restaurant and I'm highly skeptical of coincidences!

Last edited:

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Guess they didn't like the whistle. Hate that, but there are dbs everywhere. Just glad that's all they did, we've had worse go on in these parts. They arrested a few last year that were deflating tires of anyone who weren't locals

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Some guys don't realize that not all of us are nice people and are not above folding someone's clothes with them still wearing them. Destroying another man's property is a poor life choice. Not only that, what a passive aggressive B1+c# move. Given how society has evolved, I'm not surprised that these things happen.

I've always tried to explain to those who set up too close that If I can level my gun and fire in your direction and hit you, your too close because that means you can do the same to me & I return fire. It sure seems like something that doesn't need to be said, but common sense isn't common anymore, even amongst hunters.

HONKSRWORKN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That sucks if they keyed your truck , it’s a chicken bleep move … caught a dude keying my truck Once my bet is he never keyed another one .. after the lesson he learned ..
Idiots like that are common at public refuges , seemed like every season we had at least one of those same kinda confrontations with dummies , and a couple times went to blows ..
One time I can remember hunting our pond in Lot 3 ,We were the only truck in the lot .. and a few idiots show up and tried to crowed us after a confrontation we decided to say screw it let them set up wherever cus the birds were everywhere and I kept calling birds to us .. I mean every group that started to them I turned to us and we killed birds ..They we’re pretty mad talking smack and packed up earlier than us … So after the long walk back to the truck , load the cart get in his week old new Silverado 4x4 , his pride and joy back in Like 86 … My buddy puts truck in reverse and his back wheel comes off … Get out and take a look at the rest of the wheels … the M fing *******s stole the lug nuts off every wheel …and they were no place to be found … Talk about screwed …. my buddy was so pissed he says if I see those f ers I’m gona hurt them really bad …. lucky for them we never saw them again … he woulda killed em …Probably beat them to death … cus he was that kinda guy pretty lucky for them we never did see them cus for years he looked for them out there … gotta say .. they got us good .. made for a long *** day …
Sounds crazy but this really happend way back in 88/89 … Ive had levee hunters that we told to move along and thought they did until .. a group of dux swung behind us and boom , Instintly I about fell off my stool from the impact of the shot hitting me , tore my jacket up pretty good … didn’t even think about it , turned around saw the idiot pulled up and let one go at the guy ,… he was 50 yds by this time cus he ran when he saw what he’d done to me ..not fast enough though , it was before steel … my 1330 1 1/4 lead # 4 reloads so he felt it .. Never saw him again either … if I’d had a light jacket on instead of a heavy one it woulda went into my skin cus it hurt pretty good .. Don’t know bout him … he just kept running down the levee so he wasn’t hurt .. just maybe he learned a valuable lesson from the incident .. Wouldn’t have done it with a rifle … but at that range I knew it wasn’t gonna do much but scare the ******* …

Last edited:

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've met a lot great gentlemen this year.
All very nice, polite, and helpful.

This was my only negative encounter.

More often than not that's what you'll find.

However it's always the turds that stick out most.

Latest posts