Coincidence ????

thekillerofmallard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As Calikev said I've had hundreds of great hunts on fuges over my 40+ yrs of hunting them. The good hunts are boring to read about a good azz kicking story is way better and just might keep that guy ahead of you off the refuge. Hahaha
In reality it's the getting up at 130/2 am sitting in water 2hrs early freezing my feet off. That's what moved me to rice. There's no club house not much talking to other members. Love just sitting down in a dry blind 20 mins before EST, its the easy life for this old man.

HONKSRWORKN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Overall Ive met some great people on refuges , life long friends ... Its like anything else you take the good with the bad ... and hope for the best .. The thing I hate about the refuges is the lotto ..make it first come first serve all free roam ... Mendota has been that way for long time and it works fine ...
To say you save money hunting a refuge dont know bout that , especially if you hunt more than a few refuges cus driving there and back alone this season cost way more than yrs prior .. I know I didn't hunt as much due to fuel prices couldn't afford to drive out 3 times a week ... and its only an hr drive not too far from Chico ... Fuel bill adds up really fast when it 6 a gal ... I know guys that spend 750/1000 trying to get drawn for places .. so I doubt its a lot cheaper ...
Im fortunate enough to get to hunt both , the rice has its perks for sure no waders , no setting up just flip the lids and get in the tank , turn on the little heater for the wife ... so shes warm .. pretty nice even if the birds dont play we watch a show every hunt ... Mother Natures Big Screen is a wonderful thing ...
And who needs a damn spinning wing to shoot dux ? I sure dont , wont own one ... a hunter or a shooter ... Not both ..... The shooter , they're a product of those dumb crutches ... Its like i said when they first came out ... These things are gonna make anyone a so called duck hunter and Gonna bring out more idiots into the sport ... they're the worst thing ever IMO
I have always said if you need one to fool ducks into range your no duck hunter your a shooter .... Duck hunters work dux with a call , good hide and great spread ... Old school the right way no spinning wing crutch ... Dont know if y'all may have seen them but I sold stickers yrs ago with a spinning wing anti sign ... cant find a one around anyplace so people had them but it was long , long time ago early 2000s ( Believe it or not Its the Only time i was ever suspended from the forum ... for arguing over spinning wing decoys the ultimate wanna be duck hunter crutch ...

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Other than swan shooters and closed zone hunters things have been pretty good this season on most of the places I hunted this year. Guys have been on their best behavior in terms of crowding, etc. for the entire season. I only had one set of guys trying to get too close this year and after I talked to them they moved back far enough. No complaints on public ground this year from me. I could write a novel on positive experiences but folks would rather talk about the negative ones I guess. It seems to provoke more of the "I don't miss that"......."you guys are crazy for hunting refuges" and "if I had to hunt refuges for ducks I would quit" typical responses.

Personally I prefer public ground. I can come and go as I please no strings attached. Then I choose what circle of folks I can run with. I don't have to deal with club drama or deal with other hunters with permission who think they have exclusive rights. I've seen more drama over goose fields in a few seasons then I ever have seen on refuges and public ground. I also don't have to pay thousands of dollars to sit and stare at empty skies. Mobility and flexibility are worth the price of admission on public ground for me. A couple out of state trips can yield fantastic results and sprinkle that in with public freelance and refuge hunting, well you have yourself a fantastic no drama club with no strings attached.

I'll hunt public about 15X
About $12.25 per day for quality shooting and access to more land than I could learn in a lifetime.

Only one bad encounter this year zero last year.

This is all new to me and I'm grateful to have had a couple of good seasons.

My only regret is moving here at 59 instead of 19.

I was in a Duck/Goose club 1x and a Deer club 1x and didn't like the hiarcy and restrictions about where and how to hunt.

I was never a Mojo user on the East Coast other than field shooting mallards but due to health issues affecting my speed and coordination I've switched over from a jerk rig sometime in mid December and have been pleased with the results.

ztate

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Overall Ive met some great people on refuges , life long friends ... Its like anything else you take the good with the bad ... and hope for the best .. The thing I hate about the refuges is the lotto ..make it first come first serve all free roam ... Mendota has been that way for long time and it works fine ...
To say you save money hunting a refuge dont know bout that , especially if you hunt more than a few refuges cus driving there and back alone this season cost way more than yrs prior .. I know I didn't hunt as much due to fuel prices couldn't afford to drive out 3 times a week ... and its only an hr drive not too far from Chico ... Fuel bill adds up really fast when it 6 a gal ... I know guys that spend 750/1000 trying to get drawn for places .. so I doubt its a lot cheaper ...
Im fortunate enough to get to hunt both , the rice has its perks for sure no waders , no setting up just flip the lids and get in the tank , turn on the little heater for the wife ... so shes warm .. pretty nice even if the birds dont play we watch a show every hunt ... Mother Natures Big Screen is a wonderful thing ...
And who needs a damn spinning wing to shoot dux ? I sure dont , wont own one ... a hunter or a shooter ... Not both ..... The shooter , they're a product of those dumb crutches ... Its like i said when they first came out ... These things are gonna make anyone a so called duck hunter and Gonna bring out more idiots into the sport ... they're the worst thing ever IMO
I have always said if you need one to fool ducks into range your no duck hunter your a shooter .... Duck hunters work dux with a call , good hide and great spread ... Old school the right way no spinning wing crutch ... Dont know if y'all may have seen them but I sold stickers yrs ago with a spinning wing anti sign ... cant find a one around anyplace so people had them but it was long , long time ago early 2000s ( Believe it or not Its the Only time i was ever suspended from the forum ... for arguing over spinning wing decoys the ultimate wanna be duck hunter crutch ...
I don’t own a spinner, but I do know a lot of damn good hunters that do….
Not all people who use them are in the wrong crowd.
Just like everything else there is a time and a place…

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Bet that should "innovations" (whether decoy methods, call types, ammo, guns, blind materials, etc) are denied and eliminated from waterfowl hunting, the interest in the sport will dwindle and waterfowl hunting will eventually become irrelevant. "Old school" is cool, but sooner or later we die, then what will there be next?