Cold Weather load modifications 10 ga and other

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mrs.10GAGENUT, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Since it's been getting very cold very fast this year anyone who wants to use hotter primers in some of the loads in the manual just PM me or post it up on here.
    I've used the Federal hull 1 1/2 oz RSI wad load with a Federal 209A primer switch in temperatures down to minus 16 degrees with 38 below wind chills. The load will give high pressures in temperatures above 15 or 20 degrees, but in severe cold it works very well, will keep any autoloader functioning and keep excessive powder build up to a minimum.
    There's several others I can suggest primer switches for very cold weather use also if anybody needs them.
    Joe

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Joe
    I had loaded some of my favorite 1 1/16 oz of 1's in a 2 3/4" FGM hull and used the 209 A's as we expected minus temps up there .
    The factory 3" shells that were available up there seemed lame , compared to my shorter loads .

3. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

I have used a few extra pellets

4. Mrs.10GAGENUT

A lot of the factory offerings will seem lame when it gets real cold, as you know they have to make them for use in all temperatures not just cold temperatures. A lot of the RSI loads can be easily modified for colder temperatures, RSI 73 takes the Federal 209A with no modifications and gives 1595 fps over the chrono very good in the cold, RSI 75 I drop two grains and use the CCI 209M works real well in the cold, JP on here uses RSI 75 as is with the Federal 209A in a 3 1/2" gun, I wouldn't suggest that in a 3" gun but the 3 1/2" will take the extra pressure no problems.
    Lot of little tweaks that can be done to keep you running when it gets real cold.

5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

For the 10 gauge the listed Alliant Remington hull RSI wad 1 1/2 oz load seems to be working real well with the Olive drab hulls, had nothing but overpressure problems with that load in the yellow high base hulls but the low base Olive Drab hulls seem to run much lower pressures and handle it real well, good for cold weather.
    With the MM/TPS wads you like to use adding a bit more weight may be the right way to go, with heavier loads pressures with magnum primers sometimes run wild, then if you reduce enough to compensate your velocity suffers drastically.

6. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

The older I get, the less likely it is I go hunting in extreme cold. I burned through the majority of my older BP data heavy loads. Now I am burning through My light fast old BP data loads. When they are gone I will be shooting the 1 1/2oz loads that have proven to be very good. Which is close to your 1425fps rem hull TPS wad. For ducks I still will use the 144 #1 steel fast load. It is just too effective not to use it. I suspect it will go bang at -40.

7. Mrs.10GAGENUT

I know what your saying I think the days of me going out in 35 below wind chills to hunt are getting near an end myself.
    For the younger guys who can handle it more power to you, enjoy it while you can.

JP and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  8. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

For those of us who don't reload, what factory loads would you recommend for very cold temperatures? I do know to avoid Winchester Experts.

9. Mrs.10GAGENUT

If your happy with the loads you using currently the best thing to do is use the heaviest payload weight you can use, the extra payload weight will give you a bit better ignition from extra pressure built up in the heavier loading.
    Know I'll probably get some boos/hisses on this, just my own personal observations from testing loads. Try and stay away from European branded loads or loads that use Europe components, Kent ammo is real good but in extreme cold I've seen plenty of Bloopers with them , they use Cheddite hulls and primers. Fiocchi same thing pretty good ammo but in extreme cold it's hit and miss with them.
    Remington ammo always seems to shoot in any weather, Federal if they have cleaned up the dirty powder thing should work well , the unburnt powder was from poor ignition now add in extreme cold. Winchester the Drylock premium loads seem OK, Experts seem to use cheaper components as you noted.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I've found my shells work better in freezing conditions when I keep my shells close to my body , along with putting a Hot-Hands pack
    to keep my hands warm . My 32 grs of A Steel lights up real well with the 209 A primer for 1 1/16 oz of shot .