Combining Youth & Veteran hunts

Sweatliner

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
DFW wants to combine the post season Jr and Veteran hunts. If you support this idea please post up why. If you prefer keeping them separate please post up why.

Please share your concerns to the Fish and Game Commission by email here - [email protected]

Wood-Dro

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My guess would be to cut staffing costs.

J5KID

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Keep them separate as I concur with the reasons above.

Double Reed

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Separate. Just leave it alone DFW!

For the first time my dad is going on the veterans hunt at GL. He is 79 and this is the first time I know of he has ever taken advantage of any veteran hunt. Wish I could tag along and play the bird dog for him.

CA Birdman

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that if they combine them, as junior weekend, geese are open, then geese would be open for Veterans.

A biological reason is ducks are already paired up and takes out one weekend of hunting paired up ducks but financially one less week that refuges need to be opened, game wardens have to focus on waterfowl hunting, one less drawing to set up and administer.

The loser is juniors would not have as good of chance on free roam at refuges and with limited spots at clubs hosting both junior and veterans, some of both groups lose out and in free roam on refuges, juniors definitely loose out to adult veteran hunters in race to good spots.

Leave as is.

candafish

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
As a parent and a veteran I disagree with this idea 100%! Like said above a lot of opportunities would go away for both the kids and veterans at public refuges and private clubs. Its hard enough for both groups to get drawn for a ressie, not that its needed for either weekend but it is nice to have the extra time to get set up. My daughters hunt with me all season and get first crack at birds the majority of the time but its pretty cool knowing they have a whole weekend where its just about them! If it is about the geese not being hunted for veterans weekend than it is fine with me.