Combining Youth & Veteran hunts

3B209

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Separate... Id say, what is their argument for combining them?

seems pretty dumb imo but likely saves money. When vets and kids are the focal point, money shouldn't be.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Definitely separate.

3B209

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Youth hunts should be 100% youth focused. I also think they should cut off at 15.

Veterans don't need extra days. I hunt them, but don't think we need them.
you are probably right, but they sure deserve them. I notice too, veteran weekend seems to draw in a lot of first timers. If a guy served , or gal... and they may be going through some stuff and have an opportunity to get out and possibly be exposed to a new healthy hobby, cant knock that at all.

Big Daddy Gaddy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I take full advantage of veteran anything. My mortgage is V.A., I get discounts everywhere that gives them, and I hunt the days they give us...but we really don't need to be shooting ducks when it's damn near springtime.

Kids are different. They need epic days to get hooked. They need special days that are just for them and many adults don't do that during the regular season.

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep them separate but end the general duck season 2 weeks earlier. Duck season opened October 1st with the Northeast opener junior hunt Sept 17-18, and then the rest of the state runs thru Jan 31. I love duck hunting as much as anyone else but I have to ask, are we putting to much pressure on our resource? And though we have an late season goose season and ducks are not the target any disturbance during this critical pair bonding ”may“ further disturb and diminish early nesting or create disturbance when the ducks are trying to put on fat reserves for egg production and migration.
I‘d give up a couple weeks for the benefit of the birds, and let the kids and vets have their hunts.
Just my opinion, I tend to err on the side of the resource.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Keep em separated.

Wood-Dro

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
CA cares about saving money?
Newscum has to at least give that appearance with the $22.5 billion deficit he just proclaimed a couple weeks ago. Or he'll just use that as an excuse to introduce a new "tax."

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
THIS WILL BE DISCUSSED AT COMMISSION FEB MEETING IN A COIPLE OF WEEKS.

DFW is recommending to combine.

Please post up here. AND ALSO SEND IT TO THE COMMISSION as Steve listed.

[email protected]

You need to be heard now

Thanks