California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Come on Vets

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

I managed to get it done! My “spoonie” delightfully turned into a wigeon! It came in straight from the sun and I was about blind when I folded him. I was definitely surprised when I paddled over and picked him up. Never heard another shot! Wish I could get back out there tomorrow but I’m taking the wife to an early Valentines dinner. Lots of mallards around this morning. Very unusual for where I was. Also Canada geese were THICK!!!! I wish they weren’t closed! I was covered up in them this morning!

Attached Files:

candafish, Brottboss, Mort and 11 others like this.
  2. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Website says unavailable on my phone. Called the 1800 message says to use the website lol

JRS and Brian Huber like this.
  3. Brian Huber

Brian Huber Elite Refuge Member

Try from a computer. They have had issues with reporting from phones all season. Wonder if that had a impact on reporting rates this year hmmmm

JRS and Russnutt209 like this.
  4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

B17F8A13-5CE2-4CCC-A1B3-9681251D779A.jpeg

Boots saved the day! She was an absolute pleasure to hunt with & made some fantastic retrieves. Thank you to @Big Daddy Gaddy & @1911king , I appreciate you getting me out there and for the time spent in the blind together.

5. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Banded September 12/2020 near willows by a dfg employee. Hatched in 2017 or earlier is what it says.

JRS and Brian Huber like this.
  6. candafish

candafish Senior Refuge Member

20210213_120311.jpg absolute blast with a kid that i mentored into waterfowling when we were both a lot younger.

waterswatter, DuckFan, Mort and 9 others like this.
  7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

The CA veteran hunt day for me was at Wister. The selection was somewhat eclectic. I do need to shoot better. Result was two drake spoonies, one drake gadwall, one drake pintail, and one drake green wing. Whiffed on the wigeon, and mallard never showed. Picked up at 10:30.

IMG_1124[1].JPG

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

The veteran my son and his buddies took out had shot 2 ducks in his life. He got his bull sprig, spoonie, mallard, couple teal and a rudie duck. Took a while to figure it out but he had a great time. I met them at the blind, and with 3 early 20 young men, picking up 250 decoys was short work.

Fowler267, mak2782, sactofish and 5 others like this.
  9. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Mid morning during the veterans hunt with my son doing Sherpa work.

D0BE82F5-D044-4161-8CBE-71B1847B9229.jpeg

10. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

I took my 80 year old dad out along with his 80 year old single shot 12 ga that he used as a kid. First shot of the day he connected with a nice bull sprig. It went down after that until he switched to his SBE. Limits of pintail, cans, and wigeon would have been very easy. And teal were thick. But he had a more challenging goal. He wanted 7 drakes and 7 species. He had the chance to do it too. But he missed a drake cinnamon and sailed a drake redhead that dove as soon as it hit the water and with all the chop on the water we never saw it again. But all in all we had a great day and got pretty dang close! 3B111F8F-A66A-4CC0-83DB-67283156FAAF.jpeg