California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Come on Vets

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack New Member

Shot the bull spoon as he was coming in, the hen mallard took off at the shot. 20210213_103737.jpg

2. EQ Guy

EQ Guy Refuge Member

Saturday I got 4 mallards, 3 green and 1 hen, a drake wood duck and a hen gadwall. Several large honkers flew over the blind. My old hunting buddy came along and acted as my retriever. He is also a veteran but did not buy a hunting license this year. I ended the day with a double on wood ducks and a single mallard hen. I went after the mallard as she was still lively and my buddy went after the far woodie as the one I hit right in front of the blind went down hard. That filled my limit but the woodie that went down in front of the blind had disappeared. We never did find it. Actually the last mallard I hit I was shooting at the drake in front but nailed the trailing hen. Today I hunted the Don Edwards and I was the only one in ponds A5,7 and 8 signed in. I got 2 Scaup and decided to call it a day as 90% of the ducks flying were Scaup and I did not want to get a ticket for over limit on Scaup.

Sweatliner, JRS, feetdown7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Hunted in davis took a blind Got my sprig again some scaup a spoonie and a drake can. If somehow they open geese for veterans next year. A lot of honkers will die out there lol.

4. brwndog

brwndog New Member

Hunted the last few hrs. today with my good buddy Buster. Twelve yrs. old bad hips and cant hear a thing but he has heart, probable his last hunt. Got a couple mallards, drake and a hen. Should of had couple more but bad hips and going blind but I ain't quitting . PXL_20210214_224516870.MP[6102].jpg

5. condor96

condor96 New Member

D51BC105-583E-424E-B53A-E74ED467CEF7.jpeg Was done in less than an hour this morning, and practically had half the refuge to myself.. can’t say I’ve ever seen so many ducks flying around me in my life. Made for a quick, fun shoot and great to get the dog out one last time this season

6. chubby

chubby Elite Refuge Member

That's a beautiful limit of ducks.

condor96 likes this.
  7. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

It was a couple really cool hunt experiences. Opted to stay closer to home over likely a lot more ducks(besides sprig) further away. Saw zero wigeon both days, and very few teal/gads/spoons. Enjoyed the solitude and the geese and sprig show, and shot some ducks that worked in nice. I was surprised more didnt take advantage of the opportunity

8. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    It was amazing how few were out when it seemed just as hard as the regular season to draw a ressie. Only between50 to 60 at the Lodge Saturday.

Sweatliner and candafish like this.
  9. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Oh boy, he looks like he's still in the game, rightfully so. Good on you pops for letting him do what he loves, I tip my glass to the both of ya.

10. brwndog

brwndog New Member

Thank you Sir.

Brottboss likes this.