California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Come on Vets

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Feb 13, 2021.

1. ThePoolGuy

ThePoolGuy Refuge Member

9125D7CB-C846-4699-80CF-19F1760D6E56.jpeg Took awhile but had a solid day

Sweatliner, JRS, DUCKTWK and 14 others like this.
  2. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

My thoughts are not many guys went do to the fact that they don't want to hunt by themselfs and to try and find a vet that "clicks" were you can enjoy your day with might be tough..

I think they should let the vet take another shooter, just one guy on his card... would be a lot more enjoyable. IMO

I was asked by my vet friend only because he didn't want to go by himself... there was very few guys there... looked like one father son team and 3 young guys... not sure how many shooters... the other 1/2 dozen guys were solo and the place was empty by 9:30

3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Respectfully I disagree. That weekend is for the service member’s. It’d be like allowing 1 adult to shoot per JR on the JR weekend... IF they were to make any exception I’d say it be allowing JRs to hunt with a Vet, not adults. I know that I’d love to hunt with my son on that day.

What I think should happen is what you did in taking someone who’s a veteran out hunting. You set a good example for others IMO by doing that. I hope others follow suit next year. I personally went on several hunts after my injury where I never took my gun out of the case or one at all & had a blast simply being there and birddogging. I think guys might be surprised the fun you can have when you aren’t worried about shooting.

Sweatliner, Wareagle1, JRS and 4 others like this.
  4. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

The vet hunt was fun, but weird. Ducks were clearly paired up. Zero question. No “bulling” sprig...only pairs. Mallard pairs. Teal pairs. Gadwall pairs. Spoon pairs. Way different than the week before. Mid February is pushing it on ducks. The lack of hunters probably means the numbers killed are insignificant in the long run, but I’d rather kill ducks looking for love than those that have already found it.

Didn’t stop me though. :l

Sweatliner, Ferrarifarms, JRS and 4 others like this.
  5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Congrats Bob and thank you for your service!

6. mark seaters

I can agree with some of that..mostly the part about adult shooter with a Jr, we all know how that would go..... my point I guess was misunderstood some I think...

I'm suggesting such a thing in trying to get more participation from the Vets..Like I said and from what I seen first hand guys don't want to hunt solo.. and to find a vet buddy might not be easy...I know I would be uncomfortable going out with someone I don't know well and I'm sure the number of vet duck hunters not that high...(we even had a vet looking for a vet post) it did not look like much interest..

I know this is the first year and all.... but with only a few guys showing up I'm not sure how long the program will be carried on..

Where I was at I think 5 or 6 numbers were there most were solo...and no over night campers... and the place was empty pretty much by 9:30

I think if a Vet could take a "guest hunter" (1) and I don't mean a whole 4 card group, the number would be higher..

And thank you for the comment about taking a vet out... same as you and what you did by taking guys out with your bad arm... but that's just what "we" do... but there is a lot of guys that would not give up a day and spend the money to sit in a blind gunless...from what I seen this last weekend anyway..

Bottom line I don't want to see programs like this go away and we both know it will because of a couple things... funding or costs and participation..

And I would have been honored to have you bird dog for me... maybe some day at the ranch.;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  7. mark seaters

Different in the area I was in Mike...big groups of teal and sprig, mallards were in small groups of 4 to 6, did have a couple pairs though and the gaddy he shot was paired up with a hen..very very few spoons and the ones we seen were in small groups

There was big bunches high and low.. and there was not enough guys there to cause a big " flush" of birds and there was not a whole lot of shooting around us...

Yes.... it was weird being in the swamps in the middle of feb..

8. candafish

candafish Senior Refuge Member

I was very surprised at the lack of participation especially after not drawing a ressie for 6 nvr's for both days. only 4 people in the lotto friday night and 2 on sat night with way over half of the ressies not showing at delevan. we talked with a fed worker who had been to 4 different federal nvr's by 1 on saturday and he said they were all like that with sac being the busiest with 38 hunters. without participation i fear that this awesome gesture towards us veterans will go away, hopefully i am wrong and maybe the word will get out and some more people will get out next year. i know if i wasn't hunting myself i would have offering up to help out someone.

freefall, Brottboss and mark seaters like this.
  9. mark seaters

:tu

10. brwndog

brwndog New Member

Saw the same in the grassland. I was only one overnighting it. My lowest ressie was a 27, come morning if there was 50 60 hunters or guests i would be surprised and that is for 5 wa. Some more could have showed up latter. Think there was only 4 # in front of me. I was very surprised.