California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Come on Vets

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by thekillerofmallard, Feb 13, 2021.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

The camping thing was a concern...(glad u used that option) as we all were jumping up and down, making phone calls and sending emails.. including me that we needed and wanted camping open and nobody showed up.. I hope next time we ask for something it don't all on deft ears..for the lack of participation of course

2. EQ Guy

EQ Guy Refuge Member

Maybe there are just not that many duck hunters that are veterans. I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. I wrote on my report card how much I appreciated them doing this for us. I hope they do this again next year but if they decide to cancel it I will survive.

3. mark seaters

Kind of my point that I'm trying to make... glad you had fun....

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I think the timing of it had something to do with it. Valentines weekend at the end of a season may have had some staying home. Especially since a lot of guys went the weekend before taking JRs.

The program itself is safe as this was a Federally mandated hunt to my understanding just like the JR weekend.

candafish likes this.
  5. freefall

We camped for the JR weekend and it was a blessing. We had a BLAST thanks to that option. Even got to shoot the breeze with @Brottboss & had a drink & great conversation with @sactofish .

F5DBC6A8-D437-4A71-82B0-2C7D18FEE10C.jpeg E0E5A45F-EC6B-4F6A-8C57-F28A41817076.jpeg

Sweatliner, candafish, JRS and 2 others like this.
  6. freefall

I had cards for Saturday and had reached out to Vets on here to take on with me. I’d gladly do the same next year rather we’d hunted together or not. I’d even be glad to host at my club if we had birds ...

I personally enjoy my time solo so I can’t grasp that being the factor that would personally keep me home. However for those who need help I do.

Hopefully next year I’ll be able to get some guys together and share this time with them.

7. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

On Sunday two guy's from the next pond took a 100+ yard shot at my decoy's. After the single shot that I heard hit the tules near me one guy yells "Decoy's" then "Sorry Man" then again "Sorry Man". I had four Super Magnum Sprig decoy's closest to where the shot came from so the decoy's probably looked closer then they actually were. I've never had that happen before.

8. mark seaters

Yep.. glad you and a couple others used that camping option...would have REALLY looked bad for us if nobody showed up to camp...

Camping is always a blast...more so with kids..

freefall likes this.
  9. mark seaters

You should have yelled back... the sprigs are on the next pond over...lol

10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

The scary part is they were veterans. Man I hate to think about those guys defending our country.......

freefall likes this.