Commission meeting Thursday March 31 in Topeka (waterfowl workshop)

golden boy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
AGENDA KANSAS DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION MEETING AND PUBLIC HEARING Thursday, March 31, 2022 Topeka & Shawnee County Library, James C. Marvin Auditorium 1515 SW 10th Ave, Topeka, KS

including a Virtual ZOOM Meeting Option Hunting pressure during waterfowl season and possible solutions session for Commissioners from 9:00 am to 11:00 am.

Constituents can listen into the meeting but are unable to comment. Instructions for Virtual Portion of Commission Meeting,

March 31, 2022 at 1:00 pm (and to watch earlier meeting is below: A) Log Into Zoom 1. Visit https://ksoutdoors.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMoc-6uqTMoGd2YyW6UEA-V1eggu4bTEDut. 2. Register by entering your first and last name, and email address. 3. Once registered, you will be provided a link to “join the meeting.” 4. Visitors will be muted upon entering the meeting. To comment or ask a question, use the “raise hand” feature or type into the chat area. B) Call In 1. Call: 1-877-853-5257 2. When a meeting ID is requested, enter: 875 4767 8239# 3. When a participant ID is requested, enter: # 4. For comments or questions, email: [email protected] C) Watch Live Video/Audio Stream

Residents will be able to voice their opinion on waterfowl issues during the 1pm workshop, the earlier meeting is commission and wildlife and parks only.

Once again these March -April meetings are mainly waterfowl as season dates are discussed and set. Could very possibly be our last liberal 74 day season if it stays dry up north. I encourage you to participate to help control the NR invasion that is taking away our quality of hunting.

IF you are a NR, youtuber or live in Missouri, I would be very nervous, just saying..............................................................................

Hope my go fund me account can cover my bail, wish me luck.

Last edited:

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
GB, it's important to know where the KDWP quote ends and your comments begin.
I think I know, but can you clarify?

For instance, does the commission discuss waterfowl issues at 9-11AM..... BEFORE receiving public input on these issues (at 1PM)??
Thanks.

Last edited:

golden boy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, from 9-11 commission sits down with wildlife and parks in private and discusses problems and solutions On waterfowl pressure. We can watch but can’t call in

we are allowed at the 1pm workshop.

hope you can make it.

jayhawkmarauder

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Taking odds on the first commissioner to state " OUR HANDS ARE TIED BECAUSE THE LEGISLATURE WILL JUST OVERRULE ANY THING WE DO"

golden boy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well most never say a single word, so if lauber doesn‘t say it, it becomes a safe bet.

nick b

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just pasting in my personal email to the Commission. Critique if you want, but this seems like a reasonable path that might actually have a shot at being approved to me.

Hello,

I would like to advocate for restrictions on the numbers of non-residents hunting waterfowl in Kansas. My preference would be to restrict statewide (public and private) but I understand there would likely be a lot of pushback on private lands restrictions, so I would be happy with a hard cap of public land hunters that is no more than half of 2021 NR license sales. I would suggest implementing this by making a Non-Resident Waterfowl Public Lands Stamp that is 5x the cost of the resident state waterfowl stamp, so $50, so that not only do we have half the non-resident pressure but the change is revenue positive for the department. I would also suggest putting some time limits on the NR Waterfowl Public Lands Stamp to help minimize the hunters camping out for weeks on end at WMAs like Cheyenne Bottoms. I would also encourage the creation of a preference point system for a NR stamp so that people who really wish to come hunt public land in Kansas will get the opportunity to do so every few years.

As a hunter who likes to travel to other states, I feel this is a very reasonable compromise that targets the major problem as specifically/narrowly as possible without creating issues on private lands. I would personally not have any problem with this system if I was looking to hunt another state. What I do know is that the current system with wide open, no restrictions hunting is simply not working for the common person who hunts public lands.

Thanks for your consideration!

golden boy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not bad, I am also suggesting a 6000 NR lottery with a hunt your own land permit. Controls outfitters and public. Win - win on both.

ban YouTubers. Any channel that is monetized, cannot film and make money off public lands

all special hunt draws in Kansas is for residents only

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, from 9-11 commission sits down with wildlife and parks in private and discusses problems and solutions On waterfowl pressure. We can watch but can’t call in

we are allowed at the 1pm workshop.

hope you can make it.
That's what I don't understand.
So the KDWP and Commissioners are going to discuss problems and solutions BEFORE hearing the public weigh in on those same issues?
I suppose, at the 1pm workshop, the commission is going to tell us that they've "already discussed it and the decisions have been made. But we'd like to hear you anyway." ??

Hopefully, enough of us have emailed/called the commissioners and given our input that we'll have an influence at the 9-11 meeting.

I'm thinking about making the trip.

golden boy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They did a similar private meeting last year on new restrictions for wildlife areas.

will be interesting to see how this new commissioner from garden city votes.

Phillip Escareno