Commission meeting Thursday March 31 in Topeka (waterfowl workshop)

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I guess it really shows how much some guys think they are god like that work for the department and they don't know ****z from shinola. Had 1 tell me the corn is what makes ducks go nocturnal not the pressure being put on them from overhunting and that Neosho could handle another 100 people a day. putting 200 hunters a day on 700 acres is getting pretty cramped that would be about the size of a football field per man when in reality the ducks probably only use 1/2 of that acreage on any given day so 200 hunters of 350 acres kinda reminds me of a state sunflower dove shoot if that is where hunting is going I will never set foot on public lands again. Boy you could have stellar bird work in those kind of conditions. But hallelujah the non residents get their way that's the important thing in all this. Pretty pathetic when the conservation dept sells out the natural resources to get the out of staters money over wildlife conservation. The wildlife will ultimately be the real loser along with residents
So, you think your KDWP doesn't know how many OOS hunters are hunting there, or the days when there are likely to be the fewest? You trust your KDWP officials? That's a losing hand you're holding. Grif hit the nail on the head

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grif you must know these guys as you are right on the spot about trusting these guys

I don't know them.....but I was involved in a battle with our own conservation department over making every area in our state a draw area. They don't care AT ALL what you think as a hunter. I don't give a rats arse how many meetings they schedule, how many surveys they do, etc. The fact is, their bread gets buttered by a lot of folks with money.....and the guy who hunts 20 or more days a year isn't one of them.

I told you guys way back when this thread started where this was headed......and y'all went and drove off the cliff anyway. :l

Still.....some of the comments like, "people in Missouri should be nervous" were so absolutely comical I hoped it kept going....I have not been disappointed.

The good news is that you are better off.....more govt. regulation is absolute bullchit. Manage public areas and let 'em hunt!! That's the only job of the govt.

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kdwp is only concerned about non residents money they could care less about the resource and I am beginning to believe that in the end all the squeaky wheels will be harassed by these same kdwp employees that making these statements trying to convince the commissioners we are the problem I guess we will see how it plays out

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kdwp is only concerned about non residents money they could care less about the resource and I am beginning to believe that in the end all the squeaky wheels will be harassed by these same kdwp employees that making these statements trying to convince the commissioners we are the problem I guess we will see how it plays out

I wouldn't go that far. I think those guys care about the rersource....it's their life work. I think they care.

BUT......they also understand where their money comes from.

The opinion of the guys on this board is one.....they get thousands. So they end up just doing their job.....knowing they can't ever make everyone happy.

I don't hold any animosity toward any of them. I'm a duck hunter. I just want what I want. I suppose y'all are the same. :tu

None of us are getting all of what we want on public ground. That's just the reality of public hunting.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. I think those guys care about the rersource....it's their life work. I think they care.
BUT......they also understand where their money comes from.
The opinion of the guys on this board is one.....they get thousands. So they end up just doing their job.....knowing they can't ever make everyone happy.
I don't hold any animosity toward any of them. I'm a duck hunter. I just want what I want. I suppose y'all are the same. :tu
None of us are getting all of what we want on public ground. That's just the reality of public hunting.
First time I ever agreed with a Grif post in its entirety.

CJT

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh....so they are doing the "traveling meetings" deal to you guys, huh? That's right out of the Missouri Department of Conservation playbook.

I warned you guys a year ago.....you ain't winning chit. You have NO steam. Money talks....your whining walks.

Here's what you should do next.....vote in a 1/8th cent sales tax that only goes to your KDWP....it'll be awesome for your state areas. :no

In all seriousness....be happy with what you have. Your idea of more regulations is a nightmare for you and everyone else. We deal with it here in Missouri. Keep your open hunting....believe it....it's best. More govt. regulation is always bad....ALWAYS.
Eh……gonna have to disagree with your generalization here. For example:

Without the Migratory Bird Treaty Act we would likely not have huntable numbers of waterfowl.

Without the Clean Water Act we would not have as many wetlands.

Without the Pittman-Roberson Act we would not have that tax revenue for conservation and wildlife management.

Without the North American Wetlands Conservation Act we would not have millions of dollars each year for conservation to offset loss of wetlands.

Clearly a couple of my examples are not “regulatory” in function, and I could keep going, but the point is this, good balance between good sensible government regulation and freedom is the key and is best.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh……gonna have to disagree with your generalization here. For example:

Without the Migratory Bird Treaty Act we would likely not have huntable numbers of waterfowl.

Without the Clean Water Act we would not have as many wetlands.

Without the Pittman-Roberson Act we would not have that tax revenue for conservation and wildlife management.

Without the North American Wetlands Conservation Act we would not have millions of dollars each year for conservation to offset loss of wetlands.

Clearly a couple of my examples are not “regulatory” in function, and I could keep going, but the point is this, good balance between good sensible government regulation and freedom is the key and is best.

With less levees we wouldn't need any of that. So we ruin it, then tax it trying to get back to where it it was, but can never be again, all in the name of "fixing it"......go govt!!!! :l :l

Boomer B. Luddite

dux/24 7

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Grif you must know these guys as you are right on the spot about trusting these guys
I'm pretty disappointed in stuart shrag...he talked a good game at the DU state convention...

CJT

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
With less levees we wouldn't need any of that. So we ruin it, then tax it trying to get back to where it it was, but can never be again, all in the name of "fixing it"......go govt!!!! :l :l

Boomer B. Luddite
Well, now this I will actually have to agree with. Valid point, but not all exploitation has been government influenced and then government compensated. MBTA was in response to over-harvest and over-exploitation of resources. Anyway, I digress, let the complaining and bickering continue!