Commission meeting Thursday March 31 in Topeka (waterfowl workshop)

Greenhead Caller

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Things have changed. My old man always said “mallards don’t get to MDC until thanksgiving” but in reality now they don’t get there until Christmas.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well it has come to this been trying to call bidrowsky for 2 weeks and he will not return my calls have let several voice mails I guess this is how there are only 100 squeaky wheels just ignore them and not return their calls I am disappointed in the waterfowl biologist playing these kind of games I guess he is all in on the fuzzy math just ignore anyone who does not agree with the agenda you are pushing down our throats.
It's not a conspiracy, ED. Tom and I are fairly good friends and he rarely returns my calls. :l
To his credit, he's a pretty busy man...and we have to understand that he has to perform triage on his phone calls.

You are lucky you were even able to leave a voicemail. His voicemail box is usually full.

Reactions: CJT

ED Vanderbeck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tuleman I really like Tom consider him a friend it had nothing to do with oosers my question was about the split and could it be moved to full moon of December. I have called Loveless office 2 today no one answered kinds feel like they are ignoring us squeaky wheels I may be wrong

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They get early brown ducks but with unrelenting pressure they leave and then we wait sometimes for a month or more to see more birds so essentially we waste from a week to s month or more with the early start and no one can justify why 1100 acres at Neosho is driving the seasons in the se zone when it consists of 20 counties involved. I would love to hear good science based answer that is good for the entire zone not just a small portion. When we see huge pushes early it's because weather moves them which is not the normal in most cases 2 years ago It was 40 inches of snow in october in north Dakota when they average less than 6 inches kinda funny Oklahoma is saying the birds are getting there about 30 days later than traditional dates. ok who is right 1 is right 1 is using fuzzy math you decide
Not saying it is the same………
But years ago I hunted an area, and results was something very similar to what you posted.

Answer I was given…….
- This is the only data we have to go off of. People who hunt public land do not report their kills accurately, or do not report them at all.
So we use “seen” kill Data, we see, then add 20%.

Only people I ever met, that tell bigger tales than fisherman, is waterfowlers. All of them are liars.:joker:doh

I know it seemed like I was giving you all a hard time, but I do hope you can save what you have.
There are places that were once great, that are now worthless due to mismanagement.

Scott yellowdog

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just pasting in my personal email to the Commission. Critique if you want, but this seems like a reasonable path that might actually have a shot at being approved to me.

Hello,

I would like to advocate for restrictions on the numbers of non-residents hunting waterfowl in Kansas. My preference would be to restrict statewide (public and private) but I understand there would likely be a lot of pushback on private lands restrictions, so I would be happy with a hard cap of public land hunters that is no more than half of 2021 NR license sales. I would suggest implementing this by making a Non-Resident Waterfowl Public Lands Stamp that is 5x the cost of the resident state waterfowl stamp, so $50, so that not only do we have half the non-resident pressure but the change is revenue positive for the department. I would also suggest putting some time limits on the NR Waterfowl Public Lands Stamp to help minimize the hunters camping out for weeks on end at WMAs like Cheyenne Bottoms. I would also encourage the creation of a preference point system for a NR stamp so that people who really wish to come hunt public land in Kansas will get the opportunity to do so every few years.

As a hunter who likes to travel to other states, I feel this is a very reasonable compromise that targets the major problem as specifically/narrowly as possible without creating issues on private lands. I would personally not have any problem with this system if I was looking to hunt another state. What I do know is that the current system with wide open, no restrictions hunting is simply not working for the common person who hunts public lands.

Thanks for your consideration!
I am residing in sc but I was born in Kansas have a home their and have shot ducks every winter since I was 20 and I am now 62 I kills me to hear the talk of divide amongst waterfowlers we are a special breed we do what we do out of passion for all that is in the day of hunting ducks it sounds like everyday crap has floated in I've hunted around and you can tell a resident over a non resident their rude well rude is a nice way to keep it cool but a waterfowler didn't get up to deal with petty human crap get up earlier plan better jus waterfowl guys don't get up late forget your calls and coffee miss shots and then blame non residents for wanting to simply take a boat ride toss a few dekes sit in the bushes with your best buddies and enjoy all it gives and I notice the game wardens trucks are now new and shiny boat ramps are paved and clean but as a NON resident get the forecasts the hell off the freaking internet on duck numbers they lie half the time anyways political like