Concealed Carry Weapon

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ARHHH4, Aug 13, 2019.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Most accurate compact .45 I've shot, which isn't a whole bunch, was a Glock 36. I'd take it over an XDS anyday. I believe a G30 is the same as a 36 but with a front rail under the bbl. If I'm carrying, that's what I carry (G36). But, the next handgun I purchase will be a hammerless wheel gun, as light as possible. Most times I'd ever need to use a CC pistol, the person would be at point blank range. No need for accuracy. Just as light and comfortable as possible and always goes boom.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm with Ravenanme.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I carry an XD9 subcompact. I am not a Glock guy. I carried one for 3 years because I had to. I prefer the Springfields. If you have a pistol range where you can rent some, find one that works for you. I know a little blond gal that weighs maybe 100 lbs soaking wet and she has a full size 1911 in the small of her back at all times.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  4. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Thank you very much men. I've gotten way more info than I thought I would. I've hunted since I was a kid but it's always been with shotguns. Kinda clueless when it comes to anything handgun related, mainly because I've never really used them for anything.

5. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

It seems your quest for info has you on a good path.

Since you don't have much experience with handguns, a revolver would be a great choice.

Be sure to get a hammerless gun, stainless is more expensive, but will stand up to everyday carry much better. I would recommend a rubber gripped gun.

Good luck!

ARHHH4 likes this.
  6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

If you decide to go the revolver route the little Taurus 85 ultralite snubby is an easy to carry and accurate gun in 38. Especially with Plus p ammo. Essenially a s&w j frame copy but won,t break the bank. With the right holster the hammer gun is fine. Practice gripping that wheel gun high on grip frame and double action shooting once you get feel of the trigger can be very accurate.

The Flying Duckman and ARHHH4 like this.
  7. TEAM_US

TEAM_US Senior Refuge Member

A lot of great info here. The only thing I would add is, handle every gun you are considering. If you don't like the way it feels, your less likely to carry it.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

IMO, the two biggest components of CWL involve these two points moreso than any weapon choice:

1. Are you mentally prepared to use lethal force in a Condition Red or Condition Black situation?

If so, I'd suggest exploring CCWsafe.com and the services they offer as well.

Also, here is a real life case they handled: https://kfor.com/2017/08/24/oklahoma-city-legal-group-helps-concealed-carry-shooter-walk-free/

2. Are you willing & able to put in the time and dollars to get proficient enough with both your wits and weapons in order to survive a Condition Red or Condition Black situation?

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Thank you very much for this!

10. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I second the motion on recommending the Taurus, it is a great gun at a good price. Has a lifetime guarantee. I own a brushed stainless Taurus 38 spl, bobbed hammer and I had a trigger job performed on it, and it is a sweet little gun. And the 38 special is a proven manstopper.