Conclusion and i need help...

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by BBFlinger, Sep 14, 2009.

1. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

In the very recent past, I have heard alot of authorities talking about the number of youth that are not taking up hunting sports in general but more specifically waterfowl. After the last two days of searching, I can understand why. You all know that my 10 year old son is my #1 hunting partner. He eats this stuff up. He passed his HS last month and is having a hard time sleeping at night anticipating this Saturday. Says its like having free tickets to Disneyland. We spent all day yesterday looking for gear to make him just as comfortable as I am in the marsh on them cold winter days. We went to Cabela's on Sunday and I went to Sportsmans today (both locations). I have searched online at Macks, Bass Pro and a couple of other ones. I have budgeted $900 for two coats and two pairs of waders (he thinks we should match). We are looking for 4 in 1 parkas and Neoprene waders. He likes the MO Duck Blind pattern and so do I. I can find my boot size in that pattern and they run $219. My coat would cost $200. These prices are okay with me, Im not growing anymore (well okay, around the waist). But I have not been able to find anything for him in this pattern for any price unless I want to spend $299 for a coat that he will out grow by next season. Waders fit his feet at size 7 but drown his body (guess everyone with size 7 boots weigh 600 lbs). Decided to go with a womens 9 petite (fits good but no pattern other than Max 4). I can find all sorts of stuff in MO Break Up. Any ideas?????

Wonder why kids dont take up duck hunting? WE DONT HUNT DUCKS IN FLOODED OAK BRUSH and without good cold weather attire, they just get miserable during the best times of the year. Have great selections for adults but NOBODY carries youth sizes and they dont seem to receptive when you say things like, "I guess thats why kids arent hunting anymore."

2. UtahSprig

UtahSprig Elite Refuge Member

Marty, I ran into the same things with my daughter. I would assume that because the kids outgrow things so quickly a lot of folks aren't willing to sink money into kids gear so the retailers don't have them high on their priority list.

What we did was I got a good pair of waders (I went a size and a half large) and I bought her coat a couple of sizes too big as well. I didn't care about the camo on the waders, figured the coat would cover the top half and the bottom half would be hidden in the blind. I made sure the coat wasn't so big that it made it hard to shoot, but it had enough room in it to grow some. To be honest, at that age they grow so quickly that by the end of the first season if we had bought the right size the gear would have been on the small to tight side of fit.

One word of caution - once they grow larger watch YOUR gear. If they can wear it you are just flat out of luck :scratch :l :l

3. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Sprig hit the nail on the head. People just aren't out buying expensive gear for their kids because they out-grow it so quickly. If people aren't buying it, retailers are not going to carry it. As much as you'd like to put the burden of kids taking up hunting on the retailers, that's not their job nor their motivation. They are there to make a profit, period. And if it isn't financially sound for their bottom line, they're not going to do it. Sure, you can say that if more kids take up hunting, they will sell more today and also in the long run. And that would be true. But can't fault them for not producing a product that not many people are going to buy.

4. 357bob

357bob Senior Refuge Member

I can vouch for parents not wanting to buy gear for their kids. Different industry, but I hear all the time "I just need a really cheap helmet, he will outgrow it next year" If they won't buy it for safety, they won't buy it for comfort.

5. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

Both are great points. BUT, if none of the kids enjoy the sport now, how many are going to take it up in the future? I for one have no problem spending the money on good gear. Its finding it that gives me the headaches. I just gave away his $150 coat to a kid that was smaller than him and his dad was having the same problem. I will spend the money but $299 for a coat:scratch

Believe me, I know how retail works. I also know how supply and demand works. I also know that if you dont have what a customer wants, soon they wont be your customer.

6. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

It appears from your post that they have what you want, just not at that price you are wanting to pay for it. You said you understand retail, supply and demand, etc....but you still have the question on why they don't mass produce youth hunting clothing? :scratch

I feel ya man, it's frustrating. But until the consumer starts buying it more, they just won't put lots of options on the table. Too bad for the kids, they are the one's that end up missing out it seems.

7. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Marty, your point is well taken but I wonder if manufacturers ever did produce much by way of youth hunting clothing of any kind?

I think what's miraculous is that those of us that grew up in the pre Goretex, pre-Neoprene world are still hunting ducks. I really wonder if those two innovations hadn't appeared when they did if I would still be hunting on those cold wet days.

Secondly, when I started reading your thread I thought your point was going to be that kids don't hunt because it's too expensive. Which it has certainly become.

8. BlackSunshine

BlackSunshine Senior Refuge Member

I too have had this same issue. We went down to Cabela's on Sunday to get a nice 4 in 1 coat for my daughter. Her and her mom searched and searched but only found a light wader jacket that was in her size. After searching all the mens and womens clothing we happened past one of the kids racks and there was one medium kids 4 in 1 coat that fit her perfectly. My wife said "That wasn't there 15 minutes ago when we looked".

I was very happy we found a nice coat for her that fit. If the right clothes are going to keep her warm and dry, I don't care what the cost is. I will buy it.

That raises the question, are they selling out? or just not carrying kids size clothing?

9. UtahSprig

UtahSprig Elite Refuge Member

Marty, I commend ya on being willing to do what it takes. Sadly, I think you are in the minority when it comes to being willing to outfit your kids with first class gear. Most folks I know try and get by with the less expensive road because they just don't think it's worth it to pay that much and then have their kid out grow the gear before it's worn out.

Here's a thought for future youth fairs - a gear swap/sale area. That way outgrown items could find a new user and there would be a means for some to get youth gear and not have to worry about what to do with it after their kids outgrow it.

I remember the early years while I was a going to school and things were tight. I'd dress the girls up in their winter clothes and then cover them up with an extra camo tshirt or jacket I had. They had a ball and as long as we kept the pink snow pants/boots behind some cover the birds didn't mind. They were usually comfortable enough that the late season hunts lasted at least until all the cookies and hot chocolate where gone. To be honest, I used to worry more about them getting bored than I did with their getting cold.

10. travis madden

travis madden Senior Refuge Member

Check out the Drake waterfowl website. They launched a new line of clothing and such just for the kids. If you have any questions let me know.