Considering a dog

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ducknwork, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

I don’t really want to get a dog, but I think the time is nearing that we need to get one for the kids, so I’m looking for suggestions on breeds or any other advice. I think it will be at least a part time inside dog. Small to medium is what I’m thinking, for example a lab is too big. Not too wild and good with kids, won’t run off and cause too much trouble. It would be great if there wasn’t dog hair all over the house and the house didn’t smell like we had a dog...really looking for an “easy” pet to blend into our life, not take it over if that makes sense.

2. Jamco6000

Jamco6000 New Member

Can't beat a lab as far as a family dog on my opinion. If you go with a female English Lab it will be small. Around 45 lbs. If you want easy, don't get a puppy. If you don't want a shedding dog get a poodle.

QuaaackerJack and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

If all you want is a family pet, there are a million fru fru options out there. Hypoallergenic, no shed, etc..

You didn't indicate at all if you are planning to train and hunt this dog. If so, do your homework and open up the pocket book. There's going to be a huge difference in price and responsibility even between the same breed just one bred for a pet and the other truly bred from hunting lines. Take Springer Spaniels for example, which might fit your size and temperament bill.

Since you aren't very sold on even getting a dog, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find the time and motivation to train it well. I suggest you get a pet. If that were me I'd take the kids around to shelters and adopt the one they fall in love with.

4. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

After looking at your wants/needs from a dog, I think you should get a Roomba and glue a toupee to it. :dv:dv:dv

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Molly 1.20.2020 (3).jpg 5 # Teacup Yorkie .. good with kids, drive ya' wild with energy, good protector, and doesn't shed :tu Misfit.jpg
    20181005_100735.jpg
    Molly for Phone.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Fowler267 likes this.
  6. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

After reading your initial post, my opinion is that you should not get a dog at all. First, your own position is that you don't want one. Second, the traits you describe are largely due to the frequency/quality of the training you give to dog. Small dogs are often require even more training and repetition. This is due to the fact that they are bred for "cute" factor and not intelligence, temperament, and trainability like working dogs. Until your outlook changes, get a cat.

7. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Get a fish, like a piranha.

Jamco6000 likes this.
  8. ducknwork

This is brilliant. Also maybe attach an e-caller with dog sounds instead of snow goose calls and call it a day.

WoodieSC and riverrat47 like this.
  9. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I’d be tempted to give you both of my Labs. They are a pita at this stage in my life because, being retired, my wife and I can go wherever, whenever we want. IF, we find someone to dog sit. I’d be down south somewhere warm right now, except for my dogs. But I’ve always had dogs. I love my dogs. And Kodi is one heck of a waterfowl dog. Nope, I’ll keep them.

10. ducknwork

Yes, definitely looking for a pet, as mentioned above. I’ve trained labs before and do not have the time or desire to get back into that again.

My hesitation on something like that teacup yorkie is that I want the dog to not be required to be inside all the time. I want it to play with the kids outside and be able to hang out in the back yard if we are gone for a few hours rather than being crated. I’d assume a dog like that couldn’t handle it.

Thoughts on something like a rat terrier?