Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Consistent shoots...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by negooseman, Apr 2, 2021.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I haven’t really followed any of the snow goose hunting stuff for the last few weeks as I was getting ready for surgery and I don’t follow much more than this site and chasingsnows. My question is..... Did anyone(guide or regular hunter) have a solid string of decent shoots? We used to start slow but then we’d have about a 10 day stretch each spring where we’d shoot 30-75 birds/day and then it would taper off fast after that. Just wondered if that’s still occurring or are they going so fast that it’s hard to put together a solid string of shoots? Guess I’m just bored while in recovery. :z :D

2. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

I hunted in Missouri - for 5 days, Nothing stellar....Average 24. Hunted SD for three days and then the last 6. Struggled. Average was 14. I am thinking today and the next 3 or 4 will be some good shoots. Not your answer, but my season.

3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

One guide service was posting pics on Facebook of all the birds they were still killing in SD. A guy I know hunted with said guide service last weekend for 3 days. They never pulled the trigger in those 3 days. However they posted pics again that made it appear they were still killing birds. Recycling old photos of friends and family not actual clients to keep the money rolling in. I only freelance and although the average was decent when divided out, there were a few 1-10 bird days that brought it down. They ain't getting any easier that's for sure.

hunting1 likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Even in the fall some times, you have good and bad days. You always need bad days to be able to define what a good day is. Had a couple hundred bird days for two guys in a week followed by a 5 bird day, and a zero bird day (everything sucked into a field 1/4 mile away after farmer swathed some barley.) That's why the call it hunting and not shooting.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  5. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I'm having a terrible spring season. Usually Aprils best for me here in central North Dakota, but this year everything is terrible high and going. Usually we have water on the ground, and there's a lot of juveniles hanging around and some big feeds, and the young ones are suckers for decoys. My modest decoy spread is plenty for that, but I don't have enough decoys to interest the migrators. I can turn them around for a look, but I don't have a big enough decoy spread to seal the deal. But is still early, so things may change. But I'm seeing cranes now, which usually is a good sign. :(

6. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Was definitely a tough one and inconsistent. 5 days in AR and 4 days in MO were all we got because they got held up south and then blew past us very fast. High day was 33, a few others over 10, and several single digits. They were inconsistent on patterns in both places we hunted them. Hope next year is better, but we also enjoyed our days this year.

7. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

We had a good fall season in California

8. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Resorts in MN do the same thing.

ripline likes this.
  9. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

No strings of what I consider good hunts (20-30 birds). In fact I believe our best day was 17. Took entire week off and hunted most days all day and was one of the toughest years we have experienced ever. We run traffic on our place and the traffic over us this year was significantly reduced........1st time in the 14 years we have had our place in NW Missouri. When I say reduced I mean line 1-100th of the normal migration over us. We are East of Squaw probably 8-10 miles as the crow flies. Just not the regular non-stop migration from the South we are used to + very little coming East to feed from Squaw like normal. Add the ditch pigging on the area we border and it made for a challenging Spring for sure! We actuall setup a field NE of Squaw later and were on a field with an amazing amount of birds trekking over us but getting birds to finish was extremely challenging. One of the two days the wind was just too damn hard and birds sliding off at 70-80 yards repeatedly. It was frustrating but not much you can do when you have constant 40-50mph winds.

I sure hope things return to a bit more normal next Spring.

hunting1 likes this.
  10. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Biggest shoot I heard this year was 585, a few 200+ers, and a handful of 100+ers otherwise the norm seemed to be 10-20 birds with some guys consistently hitting that 40-50 birds a day mark. I keep in contact with quite a few freelancers and guides from AR up to Canada and some had good hunting but most got it handed to them almost all Spring. Didn't really seem to be a rhyme or reason for the ones shooting birds consistently as far as what they were doing in comparison to the guys who weren't doing good. I think the massive amount of hunting pressure combined with bad hatches for the last few years is making it tough.