Contact the President to support stem cell research

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by California Flyway, Jul 19, 2006.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

It is important to take political action and contact the President and tell him you support the bill on stem cell research.
    This will allow the hundreds of thousands of embryos that will otherwise be disposed of to be used for strongly furthering medical breakthroughs on a number of major diseases.
    Republican Bill Frist, who is leader of the Senate and a medical doctor is a strong supporter of expanding this very promising research.
    Allowing these excess embryos to help preserve life instead of being thrown away as medical waste is clearly a good choice for our country.

2. seastreet

seastreet Banned

I actually agree with you on this one CF. Thanks for not throwing your usual "Bush is stupid" and "Bush is imcompetent" lines around. It makes for far better dialog and debate without getting to the absolute edge of absurdity.

3. lancej

lancej Elite Refuge Member

CF, I have to agree whole heartedly on this.

Lance

4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't the core argument revolve around using federal tax dollars to subsidize such research?

5. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Since I have relatives that so many are claiming will get help from this bill, I should be excited and contacting Bush to sign this bill, however having those relatives and hearing there comments and word from their doctors, it is obvious that Bush has it right on this one!!!!!

VETO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. seastreet

seastreet Banned

Not trying to encite anything, but would you care to explain Ron? Inquiring minds want to know...

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Sure most people assume that stem cell research can only be done with new supplies. The error in this bill is that it will allow the growing of petri dish embryo's or humans for a better term to get them beyond the current established lines we have and are already approved. This bill will open up a floodgate of new cloning efforts disguised as research.

Today most research advancement is coming from stem cell research from people afflicted with a disease, like MS or diabetes for example. I have 5 relatives with diabetes who's doctors have stated that no new lines need to be started to continue the current research!

This is not about funding, but the dirty secret buried in the bill. The chicken livered Rep are passing this to appeal to voters and are sacrificing conservative positions in doing so. Nothing more. This is a bad bill that will in affect if signed open the door for more human cloning efforts to create a human from a petri dish!

8. seastreet

seastreet Banned

Thanks Ron. That is interesting to know. I take it you read the bill? I am aware of how politicians love to throw tons of pork into a bill so it will get veto'ed, and then point fingers when it voted down.

9. lancej

lancej Elite Refuge Member

Nothing you wrote in this post is indicative of a reason to veto the bill.

Lance

10. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Actually, as I understand it, and I could be wrong, the main stipulation that got many republicans on board for it was that it DID NOT create fertilized embyos for the sole purpose of research. It DID however, use stem cells that are a bi-product of in vitro fertilization (from consenting parents) and are destroyed and discarded anyways. These cells are created and destroyed on a daily basis.

If someone really opposes stem cell research based on religious reasons, as it appears Bush does, fine, I can respect that, but I don't like it being forced on me. Is in vitro fertilization wrong as well? You do realize that in that process many many embyos are created because success rates are rather low. These embryos go in the trash once one is successful. That's the sensless murder of thousands a year right? To prefer these cells are wasted rather than used for something good is about as consistant as pro lifers being for the death penalty.

Ron, you do realize that these lines would be used in other diseases than just diabetes right? No, the research from them probablly won't do much for current sufferers , but many of these diseases, such as diabetes, show genetic links. They may cure your relatives' children one day.