Controlled Hunts - 3 successful draws

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Uncle Bambi, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Uncle Bambi

Uncle Bambi New Member

I was successful in drawing 3 controlled hunts this year, on my first time applying for them. Usually I just hunt birds and rabbits, but I have wandered around a few times with an OTC deer tag with dismal results..... none of my friends hunt deer, so I'm enrolled in the DIY school of figuring things out :). I did have success with deer and antelope in Wyoming last year, so I have experience hunting bigger game and processing the results of my success.

I studied the IDFG booklet, called the office and talked to a warden for advice, and chose the hunt areas as best I could. Here's what I put in for and drew:

Elk Antlerless in Hunt Area 43-1 1st choice
    Deer either sex in Hunt Area 39-1 1st choice
    Antelope either sex in Hunt Area 21A-1 2nd choice

I have the deer area doped out with an acquaintance and will hopefully connect. The antelope was my second choice, and is archery only. That's going to be a tough one to convert, and I'm clueless about that area. I know someone who has also drawn that area as well as hunted it (successfully) before, and he said he'd be happy to have me tag along.

I'm clueless on the elk area I drew for, so if any of you are willing to give me some general advice for the elk hunt area I'm in, I'm all ears. I would even welcome some company if you want to come along, and would gladly share a generous portion of the harvest if I connect.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I don't hunt big game but my duck hunting partner will hunt rifle elk and deer. He swears by On X Maps as a great way to uncover and confirm that you are hunting public land. Just a thought / tip.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

4. Uncle Bambi

Uncle Bambi New Member

Yes, good tip! I have On X now, and it works great for property boundaries and access points. Thanks! BTW - my pal Sasha is headed up your way today, with his wife. Says he met you on his last trip, and that you're a straight-shooter. Small world. :)

I've been talking to other hunters off-line and the picture I'm getting is that area is pretty dismal for elk. That's probably why I was able to draw so easily. lol. I might let that tag go and concentrate on the deer and pronghorn instead.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Is it a desert unit for elk?

6. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I think it’s mostly timbered and steep in 43. I hunted there 28 years ago for deer and bear. It’s much different now too close to boise. Get a wolf tag we’ve seen lots in 39.