Cooking a pork loin (ribeye?)

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Feb 24, 2020.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Gents & Gals,
    I bought a Pork Loin/Ribeye, decided to roast it w/some root veggies (turnips, parsnips, carrots & potatoes). Set the oven @ 350 degrees and baked 60+ minutes until the internal temp was 155, let it rest for 15 minutes. It still came out DRY!!!!! :mad: Any suggestions for the next time? Thx!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Did you brine it? Pork brines well. Because it is such a lean meat, it needs help.

155 is pretty high, by at least 10 degrees. 145 is recommended, and that is the final temp. You probably should have pulled it at between 135 and 140, and the carry over would have taken it to final temp. That decision depends on the size of the roast. Smaller, take out closer to final desired temp. Wrap it in foil (if you haven't already) to let it carry over.

Wrapping in foil for the cooking process might have also helped, then sear or broil for the color. Of course that would have negated the transfer of flavor from the veggies. Probably worth it tho.

You didn't mention, but did you bake it covered or not. Again, even covering might have helped.

3. Native NV Ducker

In looking around, many recipes do not recommend the wrapping or covering when cooking. Some, however, recommend a roasting bag, so.........

Almost all of them recommend a higher heat, for browning, for up to 15 minutes, then lowering the temp (sometimes after removing the roast till the oven cools down to the lower temp) and continuing cooking till you reach your desired temp.

The lower final temp thing is fairly new (2011) The FDA says 140 is fine, but that may be too rare for some people (med rare) I think 145 is the sweet spot. Most say pulling about 10 degrees below final desired temp.
    Here is one that covers most of the steps....
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/...-pork-roast-with-potatoes-and-onions-51193660

4. Native NV Ducker

On the higher / lower temp thing....

It is accepted by many that a hot browning of meats seals in the juices. Either Alton Brown or America's Test Kitchen (I forget which) did some testing, and that isn't true. They measured the final weight of meats (I think it was steaks) cooked low and slow vs high and quick, and the final weights actually favored the low and slow, meaning it retained more of its' juices. They still recommended a sear at the end, for flavor and texture.

5. OneShotBandit

No NV it was baked uncovered and I searched online & the recommended temp for pork was 155 & letting it rest. I thought about 145 (I wanted it pink), but read that was for Med Rare & it wasn't "approved" to eat pork around that temp. BUT will take your advice & next time 145 and will brine it as I thought about that, too! You oughta know! :tu Thanks! :D

6. Native NV Ducker

I rarely ever 'temp' my meats. I used to cook 40 prime ribs at a time in a huge rotating oven, and back then, we didn't have the means to temp the meat. We just looked at them, after a minimum amount of time. We had to have some rare, Med Rare, and Med, to please the guests.
    So, in answering your question, I actually had to do some research. I was actually thinking it was 160. Here is where I got the 140 temp....
    https://www.pork.org/cooking/pork-temperature/

As I was looking for a brine/pork roast recipe for you to look at, I saw a bunch of em via the 'preview' you see in google. A fair amount of them had your 155 temp range. I noticed most of those were 'older' recipes. The newer ones held to the lower temps.

7. OneShotBandit

Okay, Thx again NV! I noticed that trend, too in that recent (and on TV cooking shows) cooking articles that they are reducing the the internal temp on pork. IMO I wouldn't be afraid of Med/ Med. Rare pork as long as there isn't any RED blood coming out- pinkish would be okay! :tu

8. Native NV Ducker

You just described how I cook (fry) any pork I have. Sear one side, flip, sear till the blood pools, flip for about 30 seconds. Done. Usually somewhere between rare and med rare. Flip times vary according to thickness.

9. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Off at 135 and wrap in foil and let it rest

10. Native NV Ducker

Yup, that's what I said