Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Cooking squirrels brains

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by howard s., Aug 13, 2020.

1. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Squirrel brains :scratch , nope gonna have to pass.
    Squirrel and dumplings, yes mam.:tu

2. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Bud & I went squirrel hunting fairly often. Take em back to his house we would clean em & his mom would fry em up with plenty of pepper. Squirrel brains with scrambled eggs after a hunt was normal, tried it a time or 2 but preferred sausage.

3. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

Several years ago I read an article about some folks in Kentucky getting some variant of mad cow disease from eating squirrel brains. I believe I would have to take a pass if ever offered the dish.

4. redjones

redjones Elite Refuge Member

We called those "Cathead Biscuits" because they were the size of a cats head,LOL.
    Anyway my Mother always fried ours in a cast iron skillet till nice and brown,then she would make gravy using the pan drippings,put the fried squirrel in a baking dish and cover with the gravy she made and bake them until they fell off the bone,add some homemade biscuits and honey,incredible.
    Now days I just put them in a crockpot with no water added,season and cook until they fall apart,then either eat them as is or make squirrel pot pies,either way is great.
    Also when I was young my father ate them all the time,I tried them once didn't really care for them myself.

Greg

dog duck gun and Out of focus like this.
  5. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Senior Refuge Member

Earlier this year I got into a patch of woods with a good population of squirrels. After a couple different recipes I settled on this
    Dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a pan. Then add water/stock and let simmer until very tender.
    Remove squirrel and add flour to thicken and make a gravy.
    Pour gravy over squirrel and enjoy

To the OP, I've ate pig brains but think ill pass on squirrel. Like others I've read about squirrel brain being connected to certain diseases, and i don't want to take that chance

6. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Elite Refuge Member

People used to eat a lot of things when starvation was a legitimate concern.

I love squirrel meat but am not eating nervous system tissue unless things get real bad.

7. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Crockpot with no water added???.

8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Brains? Man, how hungry are y’all?? :l

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Some folks truly love them. I was always "meh" when it came to squirrel brains. They are okay, but I never thought worth the trouble. Hog brain and eggs though is some great stuff.

10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

this was my first thought. Lots of rootin around for a real tiny little morsel. Never tried so I couldn’t tell you how big a squirrels brain is lol, but I gotta think pretty small for all the hassle